From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Osborne Tells Lutheran Men in Mission that Discipline, Grace are Critical

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:58:20 -0500

Title: Osborne Tells Lutheran Men in Mission that Discipline, Grace are Critical
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>August 5, 2008

Osborne Tells Lutheran Men in Mission that Discipline, Grace are Critical
08-136-FI

OMAHA, Neb. (ELCA) -- Tom Osborne, athletic director,
University of Nebraska, Lincoln (UNL), said spiritual discipline
and experiencing God's grace are critical for men to make a
difference in their own lives, in their families, in their
communities and in the world.  He gave the Aug. 2 keynote address
here for the triennial gathering of Lutheran Men in Mission
(LMM), the men's ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).

About 600 men attended the 2008 Lutheran Men's Gathering
here at the Hilton Hotel and Qwest Center.  The event theme,
"Coming of Age," focused on LMM's 20th anniversary, its new
relationship with the ELCA and its emphasis on the spirituality
of men ages 18-34.

Osborne was head football coach of the UNL Cornhuskers for
25 years, helping the school claim three national titles before
he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1999.
Nebraska's 3rd Congressional District elected him to three terms
in the U.S. House of Representatives during 2001-2007.

St. Paul, the apostle, uses athletic metaphors throughout
the New Testament, Osborne said, citing the book of Hebrews:
"Cast aside every hindrance and the sin that so easily entangles,
and run with patience the race that is set before you."

"Paul is saying that athletes understand that you don't
carry those things which slow you down, which hinder you, which
cause you to miss the mark.  Sin is missing the mark," he said.

"If you're going to run this spiritual race that we're all
on, get rid of those things that are in your life that slow you
down," Osborne said.  He suggested ridding oneself of such things
as alcohol, pornography, promiscuity, certain friends and even
money.

"Every time that I've seen excellence in the athletic arena,
discipline has been the backbone," he said.  "Spiritually we want
to be 400-pound bench pressers, and we only want to go into the
weight room on Christmas and Easter.  It doesn't work that way."

"Think about the role of discipline in your life.  I don't
care what it is -- academics, music, athletics.  Without
discipline you do not see the fruits of your endeavor.
Discipline is critical.  Regular worship, group worship, small
group worship, Bible study, prayer, meditation -- those are the
things that will carry you forward."

Osborne concluded with "fruits of the spirit" or truths that
he has learned to rely on.  "When you are called to serve, you
will be given the strength to serve," he said.  "You will begin
to find a sense of stability in your life.  You will find a sense
of purpose and meaning."

"Money is a blind guide," Osborne said.  "Power -- I saw it
in Washington.  People would do almost anything to get it, and
yet you find that eventually it crumbles in your hand.  Athletic
ability takes you for a while, but none of those things lasts.
The only thing that ultimately gives your life purpose and
meaning and significance is honoring him (God) and serving him
and putting him first."

"Grace" was his final truth.  "No matter what you've done,
no matter how sinful you've been, you are accepted.  That's kind
of hard to accept at times, when your whole mentality is that you
earn your way to success or whatever you're looking for," he
said.

"Men have trouble forgiving themselves," Osborne said.
"It's only when you begin to experience God's acceptance that you
begin to feel healed, and you begin to feel whole, and you begin
to understand that you truly are His son and you are important to
Him and that you're loved with an everlasting love.  Grace is
critical."
- - -

Information about Lutheran Men in Mission is at
http://www.ELCA.org/lmm on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog