From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[SCOBA] OCN Launches New Show Reaching Out to Gen X and Y

From Communications Department <Communications@GOARCH.ORG>
Date Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:47:16 -0400

Orthodox Christian Network
Contact Fr. Christopher Metropulos at 954-522-5567
 frchris@receive.org.

OCN Launches New Show Reaching Out to Gen X and Y

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (July 31, 2008) — The Orthodox Christian Network
(OCN) is pleased to announce its newest weekly show, "Journeys to
Orthodoxy," produced by Icon New Media Network and now available at
www.myocn.net.

Journeys to Orthodoxy tells the personal stories of individuals who have
searched for spiritual truth — often in remarkable ways — and ultimately
found what they are looking for in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Jacob Lee, host of the new show, believes Journeys to Orthodoxy will help
"members of Gen X and Y find out information about Orthodoxy, but in a
non-threatening way."

"I think that through listening people will see how the Holy Spirit has
moved in many lives and be inspired to share the Orthodox faith with their
friends and neighbors," Lee said.

Fr. Christopher Metropulos, the Executive Director of OCN, believes this
new series will be a powerful addition to OCN's current line-up of eight
regular shows, all of which are available for free download on OCN's Web
site and streamed in real time on its network of 27 online Orthodox radio
stations.

"We are indeed honored to have Icon New Media as a partner in our sacred
mission, blessed by the Bishops of America, to transmit Orthodox
Christianity to the modern world," Fr. Metropulos said. "And we look
forward to having many more individuals and organizations join this effort
in the near future".

Lee, who started an online media group called Icon New Media Network last
year, is also enthusiastic about the partnership.

"I hope that by OCN and Icon New Media working together, we will
ultimately see Orthodox Christianity as the future of American
spirituality," Lee said. "In the more immediate future, I look forward to
reaching more people with quality Orthodox content."

Internet-based shows like Journeys to Orthodoxy — also called "podcasts" —
are reaching a growing number of listeners.

According to the 2008 edition of an annual report entitled "Infinite Dial:
Radio's Digital Platforms," 23 million Americans download at least one
podcast each month, which they then listen to on portable media players
like iPods or on their computers.

Podcasts are an especially effective means to reach younger listeners.
This trend has led the Orthodox Christian Network and Icon New Media to
start producing Orthodox podcasts that are accessible to young adults.

"There's a lot of theological content out there. I wanted to show people
that Orthodoxy was more than knowing about the faith — that it transforms
your whole life," Lee said.

With that in mind, Lee decided to focus his new podcast for OCN on
personal stories of conversion and transformation.

"This show is for anyone interested in converting to Orthodoxy or anyone
who wants to hear how people have come to the Holy Church."

To listen to Journeys to Orthodoxy, or any of OCN's other podcasts, visit
www.myocn.net.
The Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) is the media agency of SCOBA, the
Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas. OCN
produces Come Receive the Light, the only nationally syndicated Orthodox
radio program, and many Internet-based programs, podcasts, Internet radio
stations and Web TV broadcasts. OCN also helps Orthodox parishes and
institutions with their own multi-media projects, advertising, DVDs &
Internet media. Visit www.MyOCN.net for more information.