From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

International Feminist Theologians Urge Engage Powers of Destruction

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:49:12 -0700

World Alliance of Reformed Churches
News Release

Engage the powers of destruction, churches urged by international feminist theologians

An international group of feminist theologians has issued a
dramatic call to churches to engage the worldâ??s destructive
powers, stating it is crucial to hear feminist thinking in the
debate on theological issues raised by empire.

The â??Feminist Discourse on Economy, Ecology and Empireâ?? was
organized by the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) in
collaboration with the World Council of Churches (WCC) and hosted
by the United Theological College from 12 to 17 August at
Bangalore, India.

â??We envision the transformation of economic and political
structures in ways that enable the â??fullness of life for
all,â?? â?? the theologians said in a statement, titled,
â??Exploring the Reality and Theological Challenges of
Ecology, Economy and Empire from Feminist Perspectives.â??

â??We call upon churches to live in the world in ways that
engage the powers, systems and structures that deny human dignity
and scorch the earth, denying justice to Godâ??s people and the
created order. The human community has the capacity to transform
the structures and systems of economic and political institutions
in ways that promote sustainable life for all Godâ??s creation.

â??We call upon churches to promote and practise sustainable
ways of living that reject greed and over-consumption,â?? the
theologians said.

The meeting was held to convene an ecumenical dialogue on
economy, ecology and empire; seek a common voice on threats to
life; and help create a global ecumenical feminist movement for
justice in the economy and the earth.

â??There is an urgent need to bring together differing analyses
and perspectives on the systemic roots of the life-threatening
socio-economic and ecological crises and to explore possibilities
of articulating a clear faith stance and envisioning a future
beyond empire,â?? the statement said.

â??In particular, it is crucial to include feminist/womanist
thinking in the current debates in order to fully identify the
theological and ethical challenges posed by empire.â??

For their part, the theologians committed themselves to creating
â??life-orientedâ?? institutions, structures and programmes that
draw on womenâ??s wisdom; to continue creating theologies that
challenge churches to be agents of transformation; to dialogue
with different faiths; and to both short-term strategies of
compassion and long-term strategies for justice.

They recommend the establishment of a variety of forums for
feminists working on economic, ecological or empire issues as
well as the development of  popular and liturgical resources for
local use.

Bangalore provided an important context for the meeting. The
garment industry there employs many women who receive low wages
and work in harsh conditions. The cityâ??s call centres pay
better wages but offer a â??highly controlled, policed
environment,â?? the statement said.

Said Aruna Gnanadason of WCC, â??Meeting in India, which
embodies many of the contradictions we addressed at the meeting,
was important as the struggles of Indian women informed the
discussion.

â??Women have their own alternative resources to offer to
counter the power of empire and globalization. It was important
therefore that this consultation gave the possibility for women
to voice, not just their critique, but the hope they have to
offer as women working together for a caring and just economy
that live gently with the earth.â??

Added Patricia Sheerattan-Bisnauth, executive secretary of
WARCâ??s Office for Church Renewal, Justice and Partnership:
â??Resistance to empire is growing and women are very much in
the forefront.

â??I believe this discourse can open new paths in building
solidarity in our common struggle for justice and peace.â??

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together
75 million Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries -
united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled
world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the
Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is
based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact:
John P. Asling
Executive Secretary, Communications