From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Micah Challenge USA Elects First National Coordinator

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:30:39 -0700

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jason Fileta, Micah Challenge USA field organizer, cell 616-648-5315
Brian Swarts, Micah Challenge USA national coordinator, cell 202-441-6763

Micah Challenge USA Elects First National Coordinator

AUGUST 21, 2008 -- The Micah Challenge USA

(www.micahchallenge.us) is pleased to announce the appointment of Brian Swarts to national coordinator, replacing interim lead, Krisanne Vaillancourt-Murphy, in July 2008.

â??Brian brings an exquisite set of gifts, talents, skills and vision to the Micah Challenge USA at a crucial time in history,â?? says Adam Phillips, co-chair of the Micah Challenge USA Steering Committee.

â??Brian comes with high recommendations from Jubilee USA and the Oregon Center for Christian Values. Heâ??s worked on the regional and national levels of faith-focused organizing and action with churches, communities, and individuals around matters of compassion, mercy and justice.â??

Swarts, who graduated from Pepperdine with a BA in Religion and Theology, did dual graduate work in Public Policy and in International Development Studies at the University of Oregon. He also has a keen understanding of poverty and gained crucial experience for leading the Micah Challenge USA on the field with Project Global Village in Honduras.

â??Taking the national coordinator position at Micah Challenge USA is what Iâ??ve been prepared for by working with both international and evangelical audiences,â?? Swarts says.

â??I want to see the US fulfill its commitment to meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. The evangelical community in the US is known for its commitment to helping the poor and for its moral leadership. The Micah Challenge has a unique opportunity to move past denominational and political affiliations to hold our country accountable to its global commitments.â??

Part of the Global Micah Challenge Campaign and born out of the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) and the Micah Network, Micah Challenge USA is a campaign of Christian organizations, denominations, colleges, families and individuals working to deepen their relationships with impoverished and marginalized communities and challenging world leaders to achieve the MDGs, halving global poverty by  2015.

Jason Fileta, a field organizer for the Micah Challenge since 2005 notes that, â??The October 2007 Global Leaderâ??s Forum brought together Micah Challenge leaders from the global South and from the National Association of Evangelicals. Since then critical developments in advocacy from faith-based organizations have grown dynamically, and interest from the faith community is greatly increasing.

â??The Micah Challenge is facing an urgent need for capacity that has resulted in the development of the national coordinator position. Brianâ??s training and experience in theology and international development are clear assets to the Micah Challenge at this crucial time.â??

â??Brian can deepen our engagement with pastors and leaders who have signed the Micah Call and represent more than 120,000 people who have committed to work toward meeting the MDGs,â?? Fileta says.

Swarts observes that at the halfway point to 2015, the US has not fulfilled its commitment to the MDGs and still has work to do in the areas of poverty-focused development assistance, debt cancellation, and fair trade.

â??Americaâ??s moral leaders need to be prophetic voices that embody the goodness and redeeming power of Jesus Christ for peopleâ??s lives,â?? Swarts says. â??We must lead -- by asking and by example ? in holding the US Government accountable for its promises to people living in poverty.

â??The Micah Challenge is a vision for global mission whose success is rooted in Godâ??s work through us as agents of hope and justice in this world. Putting an end to extreme poverty is possible if we are bold enough to believe that God can use us for His purposes. The MDGs are big, audacious goals ? but we serve an even bigger, more audacious God who is able to do much more than we can ask or imagine -- and He wants to do it through us!â? ?

Members of the Press can call Brian Swarts (cell 202-441-6763) and Jason Fileta (cell 616-648-5315) for interview, or email at swartsb@micahchallenge.us and filetaj@micahchallenge.us.

Audience members and churches can sign the Micah Call or access Micah Challenge USA resources at www.micahchallenge.us.

- 30 -