From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] World Council of Churches commemorates date of founding in Amsterdam 60 years ago

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:57:10 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - World Council of Churches commemorates date of founding in
Amsterdam 60 years ago
* PEOPLE - Virginia seminary welcomes first Muslim exchange student
* OPINION - On facing evil in a dark downtown parking lot
* DAYBOOK - August 25, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - InterActive Faith: The Essential Interreligious
Community-Building Handbook

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

World Council of Churches commemorates date of founding in Amsterdam 60
years ago

[Ecumenical News International, Geneva] Church leaders around the world  have
continued their celebrations of the founding of the World Council of
Churches 60 years ago in Amsterdam on August 23, 1948, when the grouping
officially came together to forge greater Christian unity.

"Stating that in seeking Christ they found each other, the 147 churches  that
60 years ago came together in Amsterdam, Netherlands committed  themselves
afresh to Christ and covenanted with one another," said the WCC's  general
secretary, the Rev. Samuel Kobia, before he left Geneva to attend a
commemorative event held in Amsterdam on August 22.

"It is significant that as we gather 60 years later at the same venue,  we
note that the churches have been faithful to their commitment. Not only  have
they stayed together but they have deepened and broadened the  fellowship,"
Kobia added.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_100090_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Virginia seminary welcomes first Muslim exchange student

[VTS] Virginia Theological Seminary (VTS) welcomed its first Muslim  exchange
student, Salih Sayilgan, on August 20 as part of its continuing effort  to
encourage deeper cross-cultural conversations within the VTS community  and
equip students to envision new and creative ways to undertake ministry  in
the world.

Sayilgan's arrival marks a new relationship between the Seminary and the
Istanbul Foundation for Science and Culture (IFSC), a Muslim  organization
committed to dialogue and constructive relationships with Christians.
Sayilgan, who has been a volunteer at the IFSC for the past five years,  is
currently working toward a master's degree in the Sociology of Religion  at
the University of Sakarya, Turkey. His time at the Seminary will also  build
on the interreligious studies within the Washington Theological  Consortium
and on the work of the Rev. Dr. Rich Jones, professor of Mission and  World
Religions at VTS, who has taught about Islam for the past 20 years.
Sayilgan's time at VTS is being coordinated by the Seminary's Center for
Anglican Communion Studies.

"One of the Center's goals for having interreligious leaders and  scholars in
its midst is to raise the interreligious consciousness of the seminary
community and challenge the ways it shapes leaders for twenty-first  century
service in church and society," said the Rev. Dr. Barney Hawkins,  associate
dean and executive director of the Center for Anglican Communion  Studies.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_100079_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>On facing evil in a dark downtown parking lot

>By Patrick Malloy

[Episcopal Life] Jameel Clark was only 20 when he died on August 10.  That
morning, one of his friends took sidewalk chalk and wrote outside his
apartment building, "I am my brother's keeper." Sidewalk chalk is a  child's
toy. Jameel was hardly more than a child. I had to walk over the words
because I live in that building, too.

Jameel was shot to death behind Grace Episcopal Church at Fifth and  Linden
in Allentown, Pennsylvania. The members of the parish went there for  Sunday
morning worship just eight hours later. They had no idea that only feet  from
where they parked, a man had been killed in the darkness. I had to go to
Grace Church on Sunday morning because I am the priest.

The violence that plagues Center City Allentown suddenly feels very  close. I
am not afraid. I do not fear that I will be hurt, living and working  here,
no matter how close the violence comes. The mayhem that waits in the
darkness outside my home and outside my church does not choose random
targets. The Morning Call newspaper reported that Jameel predicted his
murder the very day it happened. Something was up and he knew it.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_100087_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 25, 2008, the Church calendar remembers Louis, king of France
(1214-1270).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 25, 1759, William Wilberforce,  philanthropist
and abolitionist, was born in Yorkshire, England.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"InterActive Faith: The Essential Interreligious Community-Building
Handbook" from Skylight Paths Publishing, by the Rev. Bud Heckman with  Rori
Picker Neiss, 268 pages, hardcover, c. 2008, $29.95

[Skylight Paths Publishing] This practical guide to the key methods and
resources of the interfaith movement will help you effectively engage  people
of other faith traditions in order to increase understanding and  acceptance
in your community and beyond.

Drawing on the knowledge and experience of interfaith leaders from the
world's many faith traditions -- Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism,
Hinduism, Bahà'ì Faith, Jainism, Shinto, Sikh Faith, Taoism,  Zoroastrianism
-- this comprehensive resource provides practical ideas for connecting  with
people of all faiths and backgrounds through common concerns and  activities
that promote respect and support. It enables communities rich with  diversity
to work together to create paths toward peace and justice.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm