From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Presbyterian Pastoral Letter

From "David Alexander" <alexa@mail.ttcs.org.tw>
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:49:52 +0800

>The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan

Pastoral Letter Regarding Foreign Accounts held by the Family of  Taiwan's Former President Chen Shui-bian

The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan confesses that God is the Lord of  history who both judges and saves. Therefore, in Taiwan's current  troubles, we affirm our dependence on the loving and just leadership of  God.

Regarding recent revelations of foreign accounts held by family members  of former President Chen Shui-bian which have disturbed Taiwan's  society, this church deeply experiences Taiwan's social  pain and  feelings of entrapment. In such a situation, manifesting the concern of  Jesus Christ for all people, we issue this letter.

1)    This church calls the Chen family to cooperate with investigators  and auditors, and encourages the family to continue to bravely face  legal investigation. We expect judicial authorities to be thorough and  to maintain their independence, to reveal what has been hidden, and to  justly and righteously adjudicate this affair, so that the truth can  soon be known by all the citizens of this country.  We call on news  media to act justly and report truly, not giving in to prejudicial  statements.

2)    Truth and transparency are basic qualities required of all  politicians, but corruption and bribery often masquerade as goodness. We  call on Taiwan's parliament to move swiftly to pass a "political  sunshine law" to heal Taiwan's national constitution.

3)    Taiwan's people need a nation that respects democracy, freedom and  justice. This church supports and promotes these principles in political  parties and individuals. No person is exempt from these principles on  the basis of personal charisma or success. This church calls all  political parties and personalities join us in ardent prayer for  Taiwan's national independence, peace and security.

May justice flow like waters, and righteousness as an ever-flowing  stream  (Amos 5:24)

Jesus said, the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came  that they may have life, and have it abundantly. (John 10 10)

Moderator Rev. Asing Aman,    General Secretary Rev. Chang Te-Chien                             21st August, 2008