From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Archbishop of Canterbury sends pastoral letter to bishops of the Anglican Communion

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:56:57 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>August 26, 2008

>Episcopal Life Online is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury sends pastoral letter to bishops
of the Anglican Communion
* WORLD REPORT - BRITAIN: Church and State worry about teenage stabbings
* WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Churches denounce Hindu leader's killing, but
fear reprisals
* PEOPLE - South Carolina's Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy commissions Ed
Driggers as staff chaplain
* EDUCATION - CDSP's Center for Anglican Learning and Leadership offers
new continuing education certificate in Advanced Anglican Studies
* OPINION - Sacramental listening: Social worker learns the power and
comfort of being heard
* DAYBOOK - August 27, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Episcopal Musician's Handbook 2008 - 2009

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Archbishop of Canterbury sends pastoral letter to bishops of the
Anglican Communion

[Episcopal News Service] The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan
Williams, on August 26 sent a letter to the bishops of the Anglican
Communion, setting out his personal reflections on the 2008 Lambeth
Conference, which was held July 16-August 3 at the University of Kent in
Canterbury, England.

The full text of the letter is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_100163_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

BRITAIN: Church and State worry about teenage stabbings
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_100171_ENG_HTM.htm

INDIA: Churches denounce Hindu leader's killing, but fear reprisals
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_100172_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

South Carolina's Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy commissions Ed Driggers as
staff chaplain

[Episcopal News Service] Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy, an Episcopal
Church-related organization in South Carolina, commissioned Eddie
Driggers as a staff chaplain on August 10 during a service at St. Thomas
Episcopal Church, North Charleston, in the Diocese of South Carolina.

Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy was founded in 1990 by the Rev. Rob Dewey, an
Episcopal priest, as a police chaplaincy program. It has since expanded
its services and now responds to situations in the greater Charleston
area  that involve homicide, suicide, water and traffic fatalities,
hostage situations, and emergency responders or their family members who
might be hurt or killed. Dewey continues to serve as its senior
chaplain.

Driggers retired from the Charleston County sheriff's office in 2006
after a 31-year career in law enforcement. He has an associate's degree
in criminal justice and has received training in hostage negotiations
and peer counseling. He is certified as an instructor in pastoral crisis
intervention. Driggers is an active member of St. Thomas Episcopal
Church where he has served as junior warden, lay reader, children's
church leader and volunteer youth leader and Sunday school teacher.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_100156_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>EDUCATION

CDSP's Center for Anglican Learning and Leadership offers new continuing
education certificate in Advanced Anglican Studies

[CDSP] Church Divinity School of the Pacific's Center for Anglican
Learning & Leadership (CALL) announces its new Continuing Education
Certificate in Advanced Anglican Studies. This online certificate
program provides a systematic exploration of Anglican history and
theology, and explores contemporary and special topics.

"Online students enroll for a variety of reasons: personal growth,
professional development, formation, and entertainment, to name a few,"
said Laurie Isenberg, CALL's director of online and distance learning.
"Now there is a new reason -- the continuing education certificate in
Advanced Anglican Studies. Lay and ordained alike can use the knowledge
and experience gained through this certificate to strengthen their
understanding of the Anglican Church and its theology, to inform their
preaching, to develop a more deeply connected liturgy, and to engage
fully with their faith community."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_100170_ENG_HTM.htm

More Education: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_93222_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Sacramental listening

Social worker learns the power and comfort of being heard

>By Nancy Peterson

[Episcopal Life] I am a social worker. My parents always were somewhat
mystified by my choice of career, as I grew up in a fairly affluent
suburban California family with loving, stable, college-educated
parents. My father was a corporate attorney, my mother stayed home, and
I had lessons of all kinds, many opportunities for travel and high
expectations for school and profession.

But after I graduated from college with my requisite liberal arts
college degree, I did not know what I wanted to do with my life.

So I joined VISTA, Volunteers in Service to America, which is sort of a
domestic Peace Corps for volunteer opportunities in poor communities
within the United States.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_100164_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 27, 2008, the Church calendar remembers Thomas Gallaudet
(1822-1902) and Henry Winter Syle (1846-1890).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 27, 1952, the Community of the Holy Spirit
was formally instituted when the Sisters' vows were transferred from the
Sisterhood of St. John the Divine.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Episcopal Musician's Handbook 2008 - 2009" from The Living Church,
edited by Joseph A. Kucharski, 255 pages, paperback, c. 2008, $27

[The Living Church] The 52nd Edition (Year B) 2008-2009 of the Episcopal
Musician's Handbook provides church musicians with a helpful guide and
resource when choosing and implementing various musical selections. This
book contains entries from BOTH the Revised Common Lectionary and the
Prayer Book lectionary.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm