From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC NEWS: Israel-Palestine: In Bern, theologians weigh issues in the conflict

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:28:36 +0200

World Council of Churches - News Release

Contact: +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org

>For immediate release - 02/09/2008 14:13:31

AN INTERNATIONAL ECUMENICAL DEBATE ON THE ISSUE OF "PROMISED LAND"

One challenge for churches addressing the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is  the fact that it takes place in a land that different religions consider  holy. A conference in Bern will discuss the concept of the "Promised Land"  and related theological issues with a view to help more churches become  advocates for a just peace.

The international theological conference will take place in Bern,  Switzerland, from 10 to 14 September 2008. Some 65 theologians from World  Council of Churches (WCC) member churches in different regions of the  world will participate (names below).

Convened by the WCC, the meeting is hosted by the Federation of Swiss  Protestant Churches and the Reformed Churches in Bern-Jura-Solothurn. The  event is part of the international inter-church advocacy initiative  Palestine Israel Ecumenical Forum of the WCC.

"One of the main goals we hope to achieve is to deepen church understanding  of biblical promises concerning the land and its peoples. This will  require a holistic approach to the biblical message, promoting common  understanding of how theological issues may be related to the conflict,"  says Michel Nseir, programme executive for the WCC special focus on Middle  East. "Different approaches to biblical and theological issues should not  prevent common action for a just peace."

The conference will start a process of developing a handbook for congregati ons and parishes, aimed at facilitating their reflection on issues like  the Promised Land, the Church and Israel, justice and peace. The material  would invite Christians to become more active as advocates of peace with  justice for both peoples in the conflict.

Three parts of the conference programme are open to the media: Opening ceremony at Bern's Offene Heiliggeistkirche:Wednesday, 10  September at 17:30 (Bern Central Station). Reception at the Bern House of Religions:Saturday, 13 September at 19:00  (Schwarztorstrasse 102, Bern) Closing ceremony:Sunday, 14 Sep. at 10:00 (French Church, Predigergasse 3)

Participants available for media requests: Rev. Dr Jean-Claude Basset, University of Lausanne, Switzerland Archbishop Elias Chacour, Melkite Catholic Archbishopric, Haifa, Israel Prof. Dr Harvey Cox, Harvard University, USA Prof. Dr Othmar Keel, University of Fribourg, Switzerland Patriarch Michel Sabbah, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Jerusalem Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, World Council of Churches, General Secretary Rev. Thomas Wipf, President of the Council of the Federation of Swiss  Protestant Churches, Switzerland

Media contacts:

Michel Nseir + 41-22-791-6052 +41-76-207-27-95 (mobile) michel.nseir@wcc-co e.org

WCC Programme "Churches in the Middle East: solidarity and witness for  peace": http://www.oikoumene.org/?id=3113

>Federation of Swiss Protestant Churches:
>http://www.sek-feps.ch

>Bern House of Religions (in German)
>http://www.haus-der-religionen.ch

Additional information:Juan Michel,+41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363media@wcc -coe.org

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness  and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of  churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant,  Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million  Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman  Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from  the Methodist Church in Kenya. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.