From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Eileen Lindner named consultant on national Presbyterian study

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:51:37 -0400

Eileen Lindner to serve as Presbyterian Washington Office study consultant

New York, September 3, 2008 - The Rev. Dr. Eileen W. Linder, former  Deputy General Secretary of the National Council of Churches and a  nationally recognized ecumenist and social scientist, has been named  consultant to a wide ranging mission study designed to enable the  Presbyterian Church (USA) to review the scope and function of its  Washington Office.

The study was announced by the Rev. Tom Taylor, General Assembly Council  (GAC) deputy executive director for mission.

Lindner is currently connectional presbyter of Palisades Presbytery in  New Jersey and editor of the NCC's prestigious Yearbook of American and  Canadian Churches.

"We are fortunate to have someone with Eileen Lindner's ability to reach  out to many sectors within the church," said Sara Lisherness, director  of Compassion, Peace and Justice Ministry for the GAC, "so that together  we can discern an appropriate and faithful Reformed witness in our  nation's capitol."

"At this moment in our nation's history," said Lindner, "the voice of  the church should be present in the public square. The challenge before  us is to find a way to bring our Presbyterian witness to bear in ways  that advance the church's mission and serve the common good. I look  forward to this important and timely task."

The mission study comes at a time of transition for the Washington  Office, following the 18-year tenure of the Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory  as director. "As with a local congregation following a long pastorate,"  Taylor said, "the mission and ministry of this important office can be  strengthened by a process of reflection and reorientation to current  needs and priorities.

"The whole church must be served by the Washington Office," Taylor said,  "and only a  mission study of this scope will allow the divergent  opinions and views of our public witness to help shape the future of  this vital ministry."

Ivory resigned as director in 2007 to take a leadership position at the  World Council of Churches in Geneva, Switzerland. "Our first concern,"  said Lisherness, "was to maintain the on-going work of the Washington  Office in preparation for the recently concluded 218th General  Assembly.  Now we can take some time to reflect on the best hopes for  and understanding of the Washington Office from across the church in  anticipation of calling a new staff director."

The mission study will include a review of the historic mandate of the  Washington Office, as well as the gathering of information from  individuals and organizations across the life of the church.  Perspectives will be gathered through surveys, interviews, and  discussion with a variety of Presbyterian and ecumenical sources.

A small group of advisors to the mission study will be identified to  assist in discerning the present and future needs related to the work of  the Washington Office.

Presbyterians have had an official presence in the nation's capital,  through a Washington Office, since 1936, reflecting Reformed convictions  regarding the interaction between church and society. Linda Valentine,  GAC executive director said, "I am confident that this mission study  will help us draw up that heritage in shaping our presence and practice  in Washington for the 21st century."

The mission study will begin immediately and to conclude early in 2009.

Information for this report furnished by Barry Creech, coordinator of  executive office communications.

NCC News contact: Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228, NCCNews@ncccusa.org