From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 366-Tennessee church opens doors to Gustav evacuees

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:12:11 -0500

Tennessee church opens doors to Gustav evacuees

Sep. 3, 2008     News media contact: Deborah White, Nashville, Tenn.,
(615) 742-5470   {366}

NOTE: A related UMTV report and photographs are available at
<http://umns.umc.org> http://umns.umc.org.

>By Deborah White*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)-Members of Hillcrest United Methodist Church
learned quickly how to show radical hospitality when the church became a
Red Cross shelter for hurricane evacuees from the Gulf Coast.

As members drove up for their early-morning worship service on Aug. 31,
more than 100 people had just arrived on five buses from New Orleans to
escape Hurricane Gustav. "There were people all over the place," said
the Rev. Paul Purdue, senior pastor, adding that he learned only the day
before that the evacuees were coming.

Church volunteers helped the Red Cross set up cots in the gym and
ordered about 85 pizzas when a Red Cross-planned lunch was late. They
set up a computer with Internet access, created a play area for
children, washed clothes, loaned cell phones and drove people to an
emergency room, dentist and discount store.

"We have been overwhelmed by people in the congregation wanting to
respond," Purdue said.

Gustav was the first emergency for which Hillcrest has served as a Red
Cross shelter since leaders signed up the Nashville congregation as a
potential shelter site 10 years ago. Hosting evacuees "has been really a
cool deal," Purdue said, despite the need for flexibility to accommodate
them in church that draws about 300 people to worship each week.

On Sept. 2, for example, the church held a special lunch for a grieving
family in its youth room because evacuees had filled the fellowship
hall. To make the youth room look as warm as possible, however, church
volunteers and evacuees worked together to paint the room.

Pitching in was a natural response for many evacuees, who showed their
appreciation to the church by stacking chairs, mopping floors, carrying
meals and performing other chores. "I appreciate help," said Miguel
Castro. "I've got to do something."

Shannon Clausen, a carpenter from New Orleans, agreed. "I give back. I
will do anything for anybody," he said.

Staying in a shelter is uncomfortable, Clausen said, but he appreciated
the church's hospitality. "This church is straight comfort, straight
understanding, straight patience-just loving care," he said.

Blue Torres, a cook, spent much of her time reading one of the church's
Bibles and helping fold a few clothes as she recovered from bronchitis.
A volunteer drove her to the hospital for treatment. "I'm very
grateful," she said.

Joyce Butler of New Orleans appreciated volunteers providing Internet
access so she could keep in touch with family. She drew a small crowd
around the computer as she displayed her colorful MySpace page.

Volunteers came from outside the church, too. The Rev. Chuck Becher, a
retired United Methodist pastor, and his wife, Peg, drove 78 miles from
Woodlawn, Tenn., to lend a hand. "I do it because I want to keep
active," he said.

Patty Wilson, a member of First United Methodist Church of Nolensville,
Tenn., volunteered to drive evacuees to a discount store after she
learned about the shelter at Hillcrest. "We felt we needed to be here.
This is what being a Christian is all about-taking care of those in
need."

To contribute to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, call (800)
REDCROSS, give online at www.redcross.org or mail a check to the
American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013.

># # #

*White is associate editor of Interpreter magazine.

News media contact: Deborah White, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or
newsdesk@umcom.org.

United Methodist News Service Photos and stories also available at:
 <http://umns.umc.org> http://umns.umc.org