From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 369-Power outages hamper Gustav disaster response

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:56:55 -0500

>Power outages hamper Gustav disaster response

>Sep. 4, 2008

NOTE: Photographs and related stories are available at
http://umns.umc.org.

BATON ROUGE, La. (UMNS)-As widespread power outages persisted in parts
of Louisiana, hurricane damage reports trickled into the state's central
United Methodist office and residents began returning home from the
largest evacuation in state history.

Staff members at the church's Louisiana Annual (regional) Conference
fielded phone calls and assessed needs in order to develop a statewide
emergency response plan.

"Power outages are a big issue here," said Betty Backstrom, a conference
spokesperson. "There are a lot of uprooted trees, a lot of debris, a lot
of downed power lines. That's the big, big story."

Representatives from the United Methodist Committee on Relief toured
some of the state's hardest-hit parishes on Sept. 4 to determine how
United Methodists elsewhere can help through the church's disaster
relief organization.

UMCOR's Rev. Tom Hazelwood and Sandra Kennedy-Owes were touring
Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes, along with Bishop William W.
Hutchinson, the church's episcopal leader in Louisiana; the Rev. Darryl
Tate, director of disaster response for the conference; and the Rev. Don
Cottrill, conference director of connectional ministries.

>'It wasn't a flood this time'

Baton Rouge in southwest Louisiana was one of the worst-hit areas from
Hurricane Gustav, which has left more than 800,000 people without power
since its Sept. 1 landfall. While Hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans
was largely spared this time, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Gustav
left its mark on other parts of the state, including areas hit by
Hurricane Rita in September 2005.

"It wasn't a flood this time, it was trees down," Tate said. "We will be
looking to help the least, the last and the lost, who are mostly people
without insurance."

Sunny skies returned to Baton Rouge on Sept. 4 after days of tornado
warnings and flash flood reports. However, the sunshine was a mixed
blessing.

"With the power out, that means a lot of people don't have air
conditioning, which is a big issue here and especially rough for seniors
and folks with health issues," Backstrom said.

Utility officials said it could take up to six weeks to restore power in
some areas. Meanwhile, long lines were typical at grocery stores and gas
stations.

>The most pressing need

Serving as the church's hub for disaster relief, the conference center
in downtown Baton Rouge was not damaged and lost power for only a brief
period following Gustav. Conference staff worked the phones to gather
reports from local pastors and lay leaders.

"We've been blessed to have air conditioning and electricity because
it's afforded us a workspace where we can communicate with our local
churches and those expressing needs and to begin processing everything,"
Backstrom said.

"Our disaster response organization is gearing up, and now new cases
from Gustav will be added to our cases from Katrina and Rita. There will
be a lot of cleanup needed for Gustav. We're developing a larger group
of first responders to be part of teams that will go out and do a lot of
tree and debris removal. That's going to be our most pressing need."

Early reports indicated that damage to churches and parsonages was
minimal, although a tree crashed through the roof of the parsonage of
Denham Springs First United Methodist Church. No one was injured in that
incident.

Camp Istrouma, a United Methodist campground northeast of Baton Rouge,
reported significant damage, including a three-foot-wide oak tree that
fell on the manager's house. The manager and his family were at home at
the time, but no one was injured, said the Rev. Bill Moon, pastor of
Blackwater United Methodist Church.

>How to help

First United Methodist Church in downtown Baton Rouge will open its
doors to volunteers wanting to help with the cleanup. The church is
moving a shower trailer to its parking lot and plans to offer water and
ice and a place to stay. Volunteers should bring their own food because
most grocery stores have not reopened.

Cleanup crews and mission teams wanting to assist should contact the
conference disaster response ministry at laumdisastermin@bellsouth.net
or at (225) 346-5193.

UMCOR encourages United Methodists to ship flood buckets and other kits
to its Sager Brown Depot in Baldwin, La. Information about flood bucket
preparation can be found at
http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/getconnected/supplies/flood-bucket/.

Financial donations can be made to UMCOR Advance No. 3019695,
"Hurricanes 2008, Hurricane Gustav." Mail checks to UMCOR, P.O. Box
9068, New York, NY 10087, and write the Advance number and name on the
memo line of the check.  Credit-card donations can be made at
http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/umcor/donate.cfm?code=3019695
<http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/umcor/donate.cfm?code=3019695&id= 3
019695> &id=3019695.

"Baton Rouge gave after Katrina, and now it needs to receive aid," said
Cottrill. "Gustav will open up fresh wounds both spiritually and
emotionally, and the church needs to be a place they can turn to."

*Kathy L. Gilbert, a United Methodist News Service writer reporting from
Baton Rouge, contributed to this story.

News media contact:  Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.