From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Addiction Recovery ministry outlined in September 14 bulletin inserts

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 04:56:53 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>September 8, 2008

>Episcopal Life Online is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Addiction Recovery ministry outlined in September 14
bulletin inserts
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - EASTON: Carmelite monastery plans open house, chapel
dedication
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - RIO GRANDE: Matthew 25 Conference brings diocese
together
* PEOPLE - Teresa Martin is new superior of Community of the
Transfiguration
* FEATURE - New-age coverage for new-style Lambeth
* DAYBOOK - September 9, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Audacity of Hope

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Addiction Recovery ministry outlined in September 14 bulletin inserts

[Episcopal Life Weekly] September has been designated "National
Addiction Recovery Month" by the U.S. Government's Department of Health
and Human Services. Episcopal Life Weekly bulletin inserts for September
14 focus on the work of Episcopal Recovery Ministries, an organization
of congregations, dioceses, institutions and individuals who work with
those addicted to alcohol or other drugs.

Bulletin inserts are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

EASTON: Carmelite monastery plans open house, chapel dedication
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_100463_ENG_HTM.htm

RIO GRANDE: Matthew 25 Conference brings diocese together
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_100464_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Teresa Martin is new superior of Community of the Transfiguration

[Episcopal News Service] Sister Teresa Marie Martin is now serving as
superior of the Community of the Transfiguration, an Episcopal women's
order based in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Martin succeeded Sister Ann Margaret, who had served a total of 20 years
as superior, with a five-year interim as assistant superior.  Martin was
elected on June 24, the Feast of the Nativity of St. John Baptist, and
was installed at Evensong that night.

Martin, a California native, entered the Community of the
Transfiguration in 1963 and was life professed on October 4, 1967. She
taught grades 3 and 4 at the sisters' Bethany School, then served as a
cottage mother and administrative assistant before becoming the school
principal for five years. She later returned to teaching, but became
principal again in 1979 for a transition year. During those years, she
designed and taught vacation Bible schools in the South and Midwest,
served as a member of the community council, and was on committees for
liturgy, music and rule revision. She was also active in the Diocese of
Southern Ohio.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_100465_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>FEATURES

>New-age coverage for new-style Lambeth

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal Life] When the Lambeth Conference convened in 1998, many of
the bishops were still coming to terms with the avant-garde technology
of electronic mail and the World Wide Web. At the same time, official
religious and secular media outlets were the primary source for emerging
news, and blogging was entirely a concept of the future.

Ten years on, Lambeth 2008 was a conference covered intensely and in
various forms, not just by official news channels, but also by the
participants of the once-a-decade gathering -- the bishops themselves.

Supporters of the modern day concept of blogging bishops say it brings a
fresh narrative to the church's life.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_100481_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On September 9, 2008, the Church calendar remembers Constance, nun, and
her companions (d.1878).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On September 9, 1087, William I, "The Conqueror" of
England in 1066 and founder of several monasteries, died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Audacity of Hope" from Random House, Inc., by Barack Obama, 375
pages, paperback, c. 2006, $14.95

[Random House, Inc.] In July 2004, Barack Obama electrified the
Democratic National Convention with an address that spoke to Americans
across the political spectrum.  One phrase in particular anchored itself
in listeners' minds, a reminder that for all the discord and struggle to
be found in our history as a nation, we have always been guided by a
dogged optimism in the future, or what Senator Obama called "the
audacity of hope."

Now, in The Audacity of Hope, Senator Obama calls for a different brand
of politics -- a politics for those weary of bitter partisanship and
alienated by the "endless clash of armies" we see in congress and on the
campaign trail; a politics rooted in the faith, inclusiveness, and
nobility of spirit at the heart of "our improbable experiment in
democracy." He explores those forces -- from the fear of losing to the
perpetual need to raise money to the power of the media -- that can
stifle even the best-intentioned politician. He also writes, with
surprising intimacy and self-deprecating humor, about settling in as a
senator, seeking to balance the demands of public service and family
life, and his own deepening religious commitment.

At the heart of this book is Senator Obama's vision of how we can move
beyond our divisions to tackle concrete problems. He examines the
growing economic insecurity of American families, the racial and
religious tensions within the body politic, and the transnational
threats -- from terrorism to pandemic -- that gather beyond our shores.
And he grapples with the role that faith plays in a democracy -- where
it is vital and where it must never intrude. Underlying his stories
about family, friends, members of the Senate, even the president, is a
vigorous search for connection: the foundation for a radically hopeful
political consensus.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm