From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Texas Episcopalians join in Ike recovery efforts / Church of England issues 'apology' to Darwi

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:10:21 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>September 17, 2008

>Episcopal Life Online is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Texas Episcopalians join in Ike recovery efforts
* TOP STORY - Church of England issues 'apology' to Darwin
* WEEKS AHEAD - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Nineteenth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 20 -
Year A [RCL]
* DAYBOOK - September 18, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Echoes of St. Hildegard

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Texas Episcopalians join in Ike recovery efforts

Congregations begin clean-up, plan Sunday services

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Diocese of Texas
(http://www.epicenter.org/edot/default.asp?SnID=1590090750) reopened its
Houston diocesan offices September 16 and continued to contact clergy
and assess the damage caused by Hurricane Ike.

Diocesan Bishop Don Wimberly reported in a video message
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4_gMGOis8) that officials have had a
"great degree of success" in that work. "We've contacted just about
everybody," he said.

Wimberly reported that he, Bishop Coadjutor-elect Andrew Doyle and
Director of Communications Carol Barnwell visited some churches
September 16 and found roof and water damage, missing siding, fallen
trees, but "nothing catastrophic."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_100751_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Church of England issues 'apology' to Darwin

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] A spokesman for the Church of England has said
the church misunderstood Charles Darwin's work nearly 150 years ago and
that "by getting our first reaction wrong," has continued an on-going
misunderstanding.

At the end of an essay titled "Good religion needs good science," the
Rev. Dr. Malcolm Brown, the Church of England director of mission and
public affairs, addressed Darwin directly, saying that nearly 200 years
after his birth "the Church of England owes you an apology for
misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong,
encouraging others to misunderstand you still."

"We try to practice the old virtues of 'faith seeking understanding' and
hope that makes some amends," Brown wrote. "But the struggle for your
reputation is not over yet, and the problem is not just your religious
opponents but those who falsely claim you in support of their own
interests. Good religion needs to work constructively with good science
-- and I dare to suggest that the opposite may be true as well."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_100750_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WEEKS AHEAD

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

Nineteenth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 20 - Year A [RCL]

Exodus 16:2-15, Psalm 105:1-6, 37-45; Philippians 1:21-30; Matthew
20:1-16

>By Kirk Alan Kubicek

[Sermons That Work] The scene in Matthew is becoming more and more
familiar. People are waiting for work, waiting to be hired, waiting to
earn a day's wage - which in those days was just enough to feed one's
family. The issue then is one of daily bread. Just like manna in the
Exodus narrative. Just as in the prayer Jesus gives us when we ask him
how we should pray.

To be hired late in the day and get less than a day's wages means
belt-tightening for the entire family. Not to mention what it does to
one's sense of self-worth to be overlooked or passed by when the hiring
is being done. To not be chosen to work creates anxiety.

The lesson here is one of extraordinary generosity. Everyone got a day's
wage. Everyone could go home and feed his or her family. Just as it was
with manna, everyone got enough, no one got too much, nothing was left
over. "Give us this day our daily bread."

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82478_100678_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On September 18, 2008, the Church calendar remembers Edward Bouverie
Pusey, priest (1800-1882).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On September 18, 324, Constantine the Great
decisively defeated Licinius in the Battle of Chrysopolis, establishing
Constantine's sole control over the Roman Empire. On September 18, 1643,
Gilbert Burnet, Scottish theologian and historian, and Bishop of
Salisbury, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. On September 18, 2004, G.
Porter Taylor was consecrated sixth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of
Western North Carolina.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Echoes of St. Hildegard" from Church Publishing, Inc., by The Lady
Chapel Singers, with Lisa Neufeld Thomas, Artistic Director, CD, $18

[Church Publishing, Inc.] A recording of the sacred voices of women
collected through the Women's Sacred Music Project, Inc. in
Philadelphia. It features selections from the Convent of Las Huelgas
Manuscript and from Hildegard of Bingen. Contemporary female composers
and arrangers are represented as well. The recording is topped off by a
performance of Esther, Premiere Cantate by Elizabeth-Claude Jacquet de
la Guerre.

The Lady Chapel Singers is the performing group associated with the
Women's Sacred Music Project, Inc.  They have performed throughout the
United States and Europe under the direction of Lisa Thomas.

>Track List:

>1. *Verbum Bonum, Convent of Las Huelgas Ms.
>2. *Phos Hilaron, Sr. Elise, CHS<p
>3. Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho, arr. Marylou India Jackson
>4. *O Holy Spirit, Root of Life, Sharon Hershey
>5. *Media Sida, from Liturgy of South Ghana
>6. Ave Maria, Deborah Lutz
>7. Kyrie, Hildegard of Bingen
>8. *Laus Trinitati, Hildegard of Bingen
>9. Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child, African American Spiritual
>10. O Nata Lux, Deborah Lutz
>11. Casitatis thalamum, Convent of Las Huelgas Ms.
>12. The Angel Gabriel, trad. Basque carol
>13. *Mary, When the Angel's Voice, Piae Cantiones
>14. Esther, Premiere Cantate, Elizabeth-Cloude Jacquet de la Guerre
>15. *Nunc dimittis, Sr. Elise, CHS

* These selections are contained in the hymnal, Voices Found: Women in
the Church's Song, also published by Church Publishing.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm