From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] House of Bishops adjourns Salt Lake City meeting with 'spirit of commitment'

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:11:10 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - House of Bishops adjourns Salt Lake City meeting with  'spirit
of commitment'
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - MILWAUKEE: St. Aidan's rises from the ashes
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTHERN AFRICA: Bishops vow to continue working for
justice, reconciliation
* PEOPLE - Janine Tinsley-Roe leaves church center
* OPINION - Storming hell's gates: Christ's church will not merely  survive;
it will prevail
* DAYBOOK - September 22, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - His Love Endures Forever: Psalms of Thankfulness and Praise

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

House of Bishops adjourns Salt Lake City meeting with 'spirit of  commitment'

Theological education, hurricane relief top closing agenda

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service, Salt Lake City] The House of Bishops wrapped up  its
meeting in Salt Lake City September 19, with discussions about the  future of
theological education and mission opportunities in the hurricane-ravaged
Diocese of Texas.

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said the September 16-19  meeting
began "by reminding our members of our connections across the church ...
including responses to and the painful realities of people affected by
hurricanes in Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Texas and Louisiana."

Bishop Nathan Baxter of Central Pennsylvania (http://www.diocesecpa.org)
said "mission has been a primary focus of our concerns" at the meeting.  The
bishops talked about ongoing relief efforts in Texas and how to address  that
devastation and "help mission continue in that place," he told reporters
during a media conference call after the meeting's conclusion. Bishops  also
discussed theological education and nurturing future leadership of the
church, he added.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_100935_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_100923_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_100922_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Janine Tinsley-Roe leaves church center

Was missioner for Native American and Indigenous Ministries

[Episcopal News Service] Janine Tinsley-Roe has left the position of
missioner for Native American and Indigenous Ministries, effective
immediately, announced the Rev. Canon Brian Grieves, senior director for
mission centers and advocacy center director.

"Janine has demonstrated great understanding and empathy to the needs of  her
constituency during her four year tenure, and brought particular passion  to
her work among women and young people. We are thankful for her ministry  and
wish her the best as she pursues new opportunities. This ministry will
receive high priority in the days and months ahead as we seek a new  program
officer to fill this crucial position," Grieves said in an announcement.

The position involved coordinating conferences and events with  significance
for native Americans, such as the commemoration of last year's 400th
anniversary of European settlement of Jamestown, Va.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_100920_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Storming hell's gates

Christ's church will not merely survive; it will prevail

>By Douglas LeBlanc

[Episcopal Life] During the hugger-muggery of this year's Lambeth
Conference, one bishop said repeatedly that "the Anglican Communion is  going
to be fine" and that even the gates of hell would not prevail against
Christ's church.

Who said this? Gene Robinson, the bishop of New Hampshire since November
2003, whose sexuality so often is described as singularly responsible  for
pushing the Anglican Communion to the brink of global collapse. The same
bishop must remind us that the church will survive. The paradox is rich.

Perhaps because I followed Robinson's video blog, The Gene Pool
(http://lambethgenepool.blogspot.com), or because other bishops are less
quotable, his confidence in the church seems extraordinary these days. I
know what it's like to feel less confident about the church. In past  years,
and to a lesser degree now, I've worried that the Episcopal Church could
follow certain gauzy concepts of equality, inclusion and niceness  straight
into Unitarian Universalism.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81840_100933_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On September 22, 2008, the Church calendar remembers Philander Chase,  bishop
of Ohio, and of Illinois (1775-1852).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On September 22, 1871, Charlotte Elliott, Anglican
hymnist, died at Brighton, England. Elliot wrote nearly 150 hymns during  her
lifetime. On September 22, 1991, The Dead Sea Scrolls were made  available to
the public for the first time, by the Huntington Library. On September  22,
1993, Craig Anderson was installed as the 11th dean of the General
Theological Seminary (GTS) in New York.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"His Love Endures Forever: Psalms of Thankfulness and Praise" from  Gloriæ
Dei Cantores, with Elizabeth C. Patterson, Director, CD, c. 2008, $18.95

[Gloriæ Dei Cantores] Through the ages, beginning in the courts of  King
David, ringing through the Temple in Jerusalem, from synagogues,  cathedrals
and churches all over the world, the poetry fo the Psalms has been sung  in
myriad ways. No other set of texts provides the full spectrum of human
emotion and communication between man and his Maker like the Psalms.

Gloriæ Dei Cantores presents the third volume of its Anglican Psalmody
series, His Love Endures Forever - Psalms of Praise and Thanksgiving.  This
collection contains twenty-one of the most beautiful psalm tunes and the
most uplifting texts in the series. From Psalm 8, "O Lord, our Governor,  how
excellent is Thy Name in all the world," to the final verse of Psalm  150,
"Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord," these psalms express  the
utmost of praise and thanksgiving to God in every circumstance, and from
every corner of creation.

His Love Endures Forever - Psalms of Praise and Thanksgiving is Gloriæ  Dei
Cantores' final CD in the Anglican Psalmody collection the choir  inherited
its edition of the Psalmody from Dr. George Guest of Cambridge, England,  and
has sung the Psalms in worship for more than twenty years. Choral  directors,
singers, and all who enjoy sacred choral music will value these joyful  and
enriching psalms of praise, sung by one of America's top choirs.

>Track List:

1. Psalm 96 - O sing unto the Lord a new song (C.V. Stanford) 3:30 2. Psalm 118 - O give thanks unto the Lord (P.W. Whitlock) 5:32 3. Psalm 8 - O Lord our Governor (G. Woodward) 2:12 4. Psalm 34 - I will alway give thanks unto the Lord (T. Attwood) 3:54 5. Psalm 98 - O sing unto the Lord (T. Attwood) 2:02 6. Psalm 103 - Praise the Lord O my soul (I. Atkins) 4:54 7. Psalm 92 - It is a good thing to give thanks (F. Bridge) 2:44 8. Psalm 65 - Thou O God art praised in Sion (P.W. Whitlock) 2:58 9. Psalm 29 - Ascribe unto the Lord (J. Turle) 2:06 10. Psalm 149 - O sing unto the Lord a new song (M. Boyle) 2:00 11. Psalm 113 - Praise the Lord ye servants (F.A.G. Ouseley) 1:29 12. Psalm 107 - O give thanks unto the Lord (J. Goss) 7:41 13. Psalm 147 - O praise the Lord (from Luther) 3:28 14. Psalm 33 - Rejoice in the Lord (J. Randall) 3:57 15. Psalm 136 - O give thanks unto the Lord (C.H. Lloyd) 5:14 16. Psalm 67 - God be merciful unto us and bless us (B. Luard Selby)  1:41 17. Psalm 97 - The Lord is King, the earth may be glad (G. Martin) 2:31 18. Psalm 99 - The Lord is King (P.W. Whitlock) 2:05 19. Psalm 100 - O be joyful in the Lord (T. Attwood) 1:07 20. Psalm 150 - O praise God in his sanctuary (C.V. Stanford) 1:48

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm