From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Barack Obama, 20-year UCC member, elected U.S. president

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:52:09 -0800

Barack Obama, 20-year UCC member, elected U.S. president

Written by Gregg Brekke
November 5, 2008

Televised political pundits began to concede victory to Sen. Barack Obama in the 2008 U.S. presidential election as Ohio and Pennsylvania, crucial "swing" states for both candidates, were won by the democrat from Illinois.

The 10pm predictions came to fruition as the west-coast states of Washington, Oregon and California ? with a combined 73 electoral votes ? all endorsed Obama.

Obama's relationships with the UCC came to light nationally as unflattering video clips from his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright - pastor emeritus of Chicago's Trinity UCC, circulated on the Internet in early 2008.

Wright's sometimes fiery calls for national repentance and political change were removed from their contexts and compiled into a montage that portrayed his preaching as anti-American.

Obama made a faith commitment at, and had been a member of, Chicago's Trinity UCC for 20 years, prior to withdrawing his membership from the church on May 31 of this year.

The Rev. John Thomas, general minister and president of the UCC, noted of this departure:
"We recognize that this has been a difficult, painful decision for the Obamas - and a deeply personal one. It is also sad news for many members of the UCC, who grieve when anyone chooses to leave our fellowship, especially under such public and painful circumstances."

Thomas offered the UCC's continued pastoral support to the Obama family, and to the pastors and members of Trinity UCC.

Prior to this falling-out, Obama addressed nearly 10,000 fellow UCC members at the denomination's 50th anniversary General Synod in June 2007. Obama's keynote speech triggered a tax-status inquiry by the Internal Revenue Service, which eventually concluded that the church did nothing wrong and that Obama's appearance was compliant with IRS guidelines.

Earlier in 2007, Obama addressed the UCC's Iowa Conference annual meeting and attended several UCC congregations during his bid for the Democratic nomination.

In his concession speech, Sen. John McCain congratulated Obama and offered his support to Obama's presidency. "I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face," he said.

He continued, "Today, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much, and tonight, I remain her servant."

McCain has self-identified as a member of the Episcopal church but now attends a Southern Baptist church.