From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WACC Media Action - Post Congress Edition

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:05:14 -0800

WACC Media Action - Post Congress Edition

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932069885/

In this issue: Participants at the Congress 2008, held recently in
Cape Town, South Africa, endorsed a statement underlining
communication as vital means of overcoming all forms of inequality
and injustice that give rise to conflict and violence.

Also in this issue:

Congress resolution on media treatment of immigrants.

An interview with new WACC President, Dennis Smith.

A call to give peace a chance.

Vox pop: a Congress that was.

Cover photo: Congress participants (Photo by Erick Coll, Cuba).

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2931971903/

Communicating peopleâ??s stories builds peace

Congress Declaration: Enabling people to tell their stories and
advocating for those stories to be heard are vital ways to overcome
injustice and inequality. A courageous woman living in the township
of Gugulethu told participants, â??I am HIV positive.â?? A  former
political prisoner on Robben Island spoke of the importance of
collective memory and reconciliation. Such stories inspire and
motivate change, but telling the stories can be difficult and
dangerous. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-en/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1423-communicating-peoples-stories-builds-peace.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932855898/

Raconter lâ??histoire des gens pour bâtir la paix

Déclaration au Congrès 2008: Pour surmonter la justice et les
inégalités, lâ??une des méthodes fondamentales est de  permettre
aux gens de raconter leur histoire et de sâ??assurer quâ??elle  soit
entendue. Une habitante courageuse du township de Gugulethu a
annoncé aux participants quâ??elle était séropositive.  Un ancien
prisonnier politique de Roben Island a parlé de lâ??importance de  la
mémoire collective et de la réconciliation. Ces histoires sont une
source dâ??inspiration et de changements, mais il est parfois
difficile et dangereux de raconter son histoire. Lire la suite...
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-en/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1423-communicating-peoples-stories-builds-peace.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2926686296/

Comunicar historias de personas construye la paz

Declaración de los y las participantes al Congreso 2008: Permitir a
las personas contar sus historias y promover aquellas historias que
deben ser oídas, son caminos vitales para superar la injusticia y la
desigualdad. Una mujer valiente que vive en el barrio de Gugulethu les
dijo a los participantes, â??soy HIV positivoâ??. Un ex  prisionero
político en la Isla Robben habló de la importancia de la
reconciliación y la memoria colectiva. Tales historias inspiran y
motivan al cambio, pero contar historias puede ser difícil y
peligroso. Leer más...
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1424-declaracion.html

Congress recommendation

To ask WACC Global to initiate discussions with the WACC regions
with the objective to set up regional mentoring programs for young
women and men working in the media with regard to gender justice.
This should be seen as a practical follow-up to the findings of the
Global Media Monitoring Program.â?? Read more?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1427-recommendation.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932069885/

Resolution on media treatment of immigrants

â??We, the participants in WACCâ??s Congress 2008, express our
serious concern regarding the international xenophobic trend fueled
by the media, particularly in its treatment of immigration.
pernicious type of nationalism is being promoted, associated with
security and national identity, that stigmatizes immigrants and fans
the flames of hatred. This type of discourse is translated into
restrictive political policies and , in some cases, into open
official persecution as well as into acts of collective violence
against immigrants.â?? Read more? Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1425-resolution-on-media-treatment-of-immigrants.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932857212/

Resolución sobre el tratamiento mediatico de la presencia de los
migrantes en los países receptors

â??Las y los participantes al 4to Congreso de la WACC bajo el lema
â??La comunicación es la Paz: Construyendo comunidades  viablesâ??,
reunidos en Cap Town, Sur Ã?frica, constatamos con profunda
preocupación, la existencia en el plano internacional, de una
corriente xenófoba, vehiculado a través de los medios de
comunicación, en el manejo tema de la migración, en países
considerados como grandes receptores de flujos migratorios.â?? Leer
más...
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1426-resolucion-.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932932562/

An interview with new WACC President: Dennis Smith

By Manuel Quintero, Cuba

"WACC has been very important to my professional development and
also to my participation in civil society in Latin America. I have
been part of WACC for almost 30 years, so this is an opportunity for
me to continue serving and learning. I began in WACC around 1979. I
was staff for a religious film distribution service and a
communication training office in Casaltenango, Guatemala." Read
more?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1429-dennis-smith.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932077473/

Communicating peace is the solution to world wars?

By Redemtor Atieno, Uganda

New WACC president, Dennis Smith, regretted that the world had
become engulfed in so much violence for so long. At the closing
ceremony of Congress 2008, he wondered how the world can restore the
balance. â??How do we re-build self-respect?,â?? he asked.  â??What is
the glue that helps us piece together our integrity?â?? He added that
many people have been seduced by power and consumerism and are hollow
and hurting inside. Smith challenged the participants to go forth and
be bearers of peace. â??The struggle to build the world imagined by
God must continue, he said.â?? Read more?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1428-communicating-peace.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2932068339/

Congress ends with a call to give peace a chance

By Frank Jomo, Malawi

The week-long WACC Congress 2008 ended 10 October with a call by
General Secretary Randy Naylor to give peace a chance. â??War has had
enough time. We have given war enough space in our publications, but
as Christian communicators, the time has come that we give peace a
chance. We should start writing about peace­peace that builds
viable communities, inclusive communities.â?? Read more? Read
more?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1430-naylor.html

<http://www.waccglobal.org/wacc/regions/asia/asian_galleries/book_launch/boo k_launch

Singing and dancing for peace

By Munyaradzi Makoni, South Africa

While WACC Congress participants prayed, talked and discussed how
they could achieve peace in the world, they had a chance to watch,
listen and even dance to the varied traditional tunes of a Cape Town
based traditional group, Ensemble Uthingo. â??We thought we could
make our contribution towards the discussion on peace by playing at a
world gathering like this,â?? said Thokozani Tyeni, one of the
co-group leaders. Read more?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1432-dancing-for-peace.html

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wacccongress2008/2926698140/

Vox Pop: A Congress that was

By Munyaradzi Makoni, South Africa

The WACC Congress 2008 was educative as it was enjoyable. Media
Action interviewed some participants at the Congress just before they
returned to their home countries. Read their views?
<http://www.waccglobal.com/lang-es/publications/media-action/151-280-novembe r-2008-/1433-a-congress-that-was.html

** **

** Click here to print a Copy

<http://www.waccglobal.com/images/stories/media_action/280_november_2008/con gress-newsletter-issue-6.pdf