From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Fort Worth delegates vote to leave Episcopal Church, realign with Southern Cone

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:30:16 -0500

>Episcopal Life Online
>November 15, 2008

Fort Worth delegates vote to leave Episcopal Church, realign with  Southern
Cone

Steering committee of North Texas Episcopalians to reconstitute diocese

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service, Bedford, Texas] Delegates attending the 26th
annual convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth
(http://www.fwepiscopal.org) on November 15 overwhelmingly approved
realignment with the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone
(http://www.anglicancommunion.org/tour/province.cfm?ID=S5).

It was the fourth time within 12 months that members of a diocese
severed ties to the Episcopal Church, which has a total of 110
dioceses.

With little debate or emotion, about 200 delegates, meeting at St.
Vincent's Episcopal Cathedral School (http://www.sves.org), voted 73
for, 20 against in the clergy order, and 98-28 among laity to realign
with the Argentina-based province.

The convention also voted two-to-one for second and final approval of
four constitutional amendments that rescinded accession to the
Constitution and Canons of General Convention. Fifteen canonical
changes were approved by a voice vote.
The canons are located on the diocesan website at
http://www.fwepiscopal.org/diocesanconvention/08convention/08conventionma in2
.html

Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said after
the vote: "The Episcopal Church grieves the departures of a number of
persons from the Diocese of Fort Worth.  We remind those former
Episcopalians that the door is open if they wish to return.

"We will work with Episcopalians in the Diocese of Fort Worth to elect
new leadership and continue the work of the gospel in that part of
Texas.  The gospel work to which Jesus calls us demands the best
efforts of faithful people from many theological and social
perspectives, and the Episcopal Church will continue to welcome that
diversity."

Diocesan bishop Jack Iker, who has said nothing will change in the
day-to-day operations of the diocese, read a letter from Archbishop
Gregory Venables, welcoming Fort Worth into the Southern Cone.

At a news briefing following the conference, Iker predicted other
dioceses will follow. "We've redefined the right wing of the church
today . the center keeps shifting to the left. I say to South
Carolina, Albany, Dallas, Central Florida and Springfield, welcome to
the new right wing of TEC (the Episcopal Church)."

With the realignment of Fort Worth "now there are no dioceses who
cannot, out of conscience, ordain women," he said. He said that
convention's action effectively joined the entire diocese to the
Southern Cone immediately and those clergy and congregations opting to
remain with TEC would have to inform him of their decision.

He also said he hopes both sides can work together to avoid protracted
litigation over property and assets.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_102536_ENG_HTM.htm