From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LWI 2008-086 Malaysian Lutheran Bishop Julius Paul Dies

From "LWFNews" <LWFNews@lutheranworld.org>
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:44:56 +0100

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION  LWI News online: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

Malaysian Lutheran Bishop Julius Paul Dies

Noko Pays Tribute to LWF Council Member Who Served with Dedication and  Humility

GENEVA, 24 November 2008 (LWI) - Bishop Julius D. Paul, head of the  Evangelical Lutheran Church in Malaysia (ELCM) and a member of the  Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Council, died on 22 November in a boat  accident in Guatemala. He had attended a meeting of the LWF Standing  Committee for World Service of which he was chairperson.

"It is with great shock that I learned of the tragic death of LWF Council  member Bishop Paul, especially following a very successful Standing  Committee meeting, which was also an opportunity to learn about [the]  LWF's work in Guatemala," said LWF General Secretary Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko,  in Geneva. "His tragic death is a devastating loss for his family, and for  the LWF which he diligently served through its governing bodies. Equally  tragic is the death of the two other persons who died in the accident, and  our prayers go to their families as well," he added.

Paul, 63, and two other passengers perished when their boat capsized while  on a private excursion to Panajachel on Lake Atitlan in Solola, western  Guatemala. He was traveling together with LWF Standing Committee member  Peter Schirmer from Australia and an English-speaking tour guide, who were  among the reported 12 survivors. The Malaysian bishop was scheduled to  travel back home on 23 November.

As chairperson of the Standing Committee for World Service, Paul had led  the 19-22 November meeting in Guatemala City. The committee, which  convenes twice a year, comprises persons with relevant expertise from  agencies and/or specialized development branches of LWF member churches.  Its members review DWS work and deliberate policy and guidelines for the  department which serves worldwide as the LWF's humanitarian and development  arm.

Paul had been a Council member on the Program Committee for World Service  since 2003, the same year he was appointed chairperson of the Standing  Committee. In the early 1980s he served as a youth intern in the then LWF  Department of Church Cooperation.

Paul was born on 14 July 1945. He had served as ELCM bishop since April  1988, and was due to retire in July 2010. His successor, Rev. Dr Solomon  Rajah, had been appointed at the 1 November 2008 extraordinary assembly of  the church, held in Kuala Lumpur.

"Bishop Paul served his church, the Asian region and the entire Lutheran  communion with humility, courage and a deep sense of commitment. We give  thanks to God for his life and witness, and offer our special prayers and  condolences to the family, friends and the church in Malaysia," said  Noko.

The LWF general secretary remarked that breaking the news of the bishop's  tragic death to his wife Alice Paul was a very difficult moment, and  communicated her request that "Lutherans and friends around the world  [pray] for the family especially as we wait for the arrival of his remains  in Malaysia."

Bishop Julius D. Paul is survived by his wife and three adult children.  The date of the funeral, according to Noko, will be announced by the  Malaysian church.

>The 3,000-member ELCM joined the LWF in 1968.

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran  tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140  member churches in 79 countries all over the world, with a total membership  of over 68.3 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in  areas of common interest such as ecumenical and interfaith relations,  theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the  various aspects of mission and development work. Its secretariat is  located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service. Unless  specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or  opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an  article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced  with acknowledgment.]