From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Joint Standing Committee plans for 2009 ACC meeting

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:06:26 -0500

>Episcopal Life Daily
>November 26, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Editor's note: Episcopal Life Daily will observe the Thanksgiving  holiday,
with regular service resuming on Monday, December 1.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Joint Standing Committee plans for 2009 ACC meeting
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - First Sunday of Advent - Year B
* DAYBOOK - November 27, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - New Proclamation: Year B, 2008-2009, Advent through Holy  Week

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Joint Standing Committee plans for 2009 ACC meeting

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The Joint Standing Committee of the Primates  and
Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) has devoted much of its November  24-26
meeting to discussing budgetary issues and planning the next meeting of  the
ACC -- the communion's main policy-making body -- set for May 1-12, 2009  in
Kingston, Jamaica.

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori was among those attending the  JSC
meeting, which was held behind closed doors at the Anglican Communion  Office
and Lambeth Palace in London. She noted that a November 26 report in The
Times of London newspaper, that suggested the JSC had discussed plans to
discipline the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone for its recent
incursions into other provinces, was untrue. "The subject has not come  up,"
she told Episcopal News Service.

The committee heard a report about the 2008 Lambeth Conference budget  "and
the deficit is much lower than was originally anticipated," said  Jefferts
Schori, who was elected to the Primates Standing Committee in February  2007.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_103093_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>First Sunday of Advent - Year B

Isaiah 64:1-9; Psalm 80:1-7, 16-18; 1 Corinthians 1:3-9; Mark 13: 24-37

>By John E. Colón

[Sermons That Work] "Rise! Shine! For the light is a-comin'!

>"My Lord says he's comin' by and by."

The words of the African American spiritual speak to the central theme  of
Advent and especially to this first Sunday. It is a firm declaration to
"cast away the works of darkness and put on the armor of light," for as  we
read in Mark, "the Son of Man" is coming with "great power and glory."

Let us be clear: the God depicted here is not a serene and docile deity.
Isaiah calls upon a potent God who would "tear open the heavens and come
down, so that the mountains would quake." And our actions in response to
this coming should be no less robust.

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82478_103056_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On November 27, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On November 27, 2008, 1885, Benjamin Webb, priest  and
composer, died in London, England.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"New Proclamation: Year B, 2008-2009, Advent through Holy Week" from
Augsburg Fortress, edited by David B. Lott, 256 pages, paperback, c.  2008,
$25

[Augsburg Fortress] New Proclamation continues to offer the best in
creative, searching, and responsible interpretation of the biblical
lectionary texts.

>ADVENT/CHRISTMAS
>Brian K. Peterson
>Associate Professor of New Testament at Lutheran
>Theological Southern Seminary in Columbia, S.C.

>EPIPHANY
>Stephen L. Cook
>Catherine N. McBurney Professor of Old Testament
>Language and Literature at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria

>LENT
>Valerie Bridgeman Davis
>Assistant Professor of Old Testament/Homiletics &Worship at Memphis
>Theological Seminary

>HOLY WEEK
>David J. Schlafer
>Episcopal priest and homiletics professor who leads workshops on  preaching
>across the United States, Canada, and England

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm