From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PCT Leaders Invited to Pray for Taiwan at Human Rights Rally

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:47:18 +0800

>Taiwan Church News

>2961 Edition

>November 24~30, 2008

PCT Leaders Invited to Pray for Taiwan at Human Rights Rally

>Reported by Lin Yi-ying

>Written by Lydia Ma

Presbyterian Church in Taiwan leaders were invited to pray at a human  rights rally organized by Tsai Ing-wen, chairwoman of the Democratic  Progressive Party, and other social organizations on November 22. During  the evening, Andrew Chang, Lyim Hong-Tiong, and William Lo led 20,000  participants in prayer at three different points in the rally and they  urged the crowd to remain calm despite recent developments in the  country. Among those in attendance were Taiwan’s former  vice-president Annette Lu, former premier Su Cheng-chang, and former DPP  chairman Yu Shyi-kun. The trio held white roses in their hands, a symbol  of strength.

In recent months, the Ma administration has used its judicial authority  to detain Chiayi county major Chen Ming-wen, Yunlin county major Su  Chih-fen, former president Chen Shui-bian and other DPP members. The  government’s actions led to public outrage as people accused the  government of targeting DPP members while turning a blind eye on KMT  members and using detention to extract confession. The rally was  organized to enable disaffected people to vent their frustrations and  voice their concerns.

At the beginning of the rally, former secretary general of the PCT,  William Lo, addressed the crowd by telling them that prayer could make  people strong, courageous, and wise. He assured them that God the  Creator loves people, hears their prayer, and is the Lord of history.  Afterward, he led them in prayer: “God, we pray that the autonomy  You’ve given us will not be sold out or stolen from us. Please  unite the Taiwanese people as we protect our country’s autonomy. We  also pray that you would grant us justice because we have seen political  persecution from the KMT and biased media reports taking place before  fair trials begin. Both instances are human rights violations and we  pray for Your justice to be revealed. We also pray for those who are  protesting against these injustices through hunger strikes. Please watch  over their health so that they can continue championing for democracy,  freedom, and justice. We pray that You would lift the forces of  darkness. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.”

Associate General Secretary of the PCT, Lyim Hong-Tiong said he  empathized with those who were gathered at the rally because he knew  that Taiwanese people had paid a heavy price in the past few decades  just to see an independent country. He pled for God to hear the  people’s prayer and watch over everyone. He especially prayed for  those who were detained and persecuted, “Taiwan isn’t tinier  than any other country! Please turn the people’s rage into a source  of strength and bless this country so that it can become like other  countries filled with peace, freedom, and equality.”

When it was Andrew Chang’s turn, the General Secretary of the PCT  prayed, “Lord of heaven, we thank You and ask that You hear our  heart’s cry. You see our affliction, anxiety, and the difficulties  we face. Our human rights are being trampled and we are losing true  democracy. Lord, we ask You to hear our prayers and help us because You  are Lord over Taiwan and You will not allow Taiwan to be betrayed nor  its human rights and democracy to be compromised. We pray that You would  unite us as we use our lives to defend this land You’ve given us.  Please fill Taiwan with justice and peace so that it can become a new  and independent country. In Jesus’ name we pray, amen.”

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages. You  may translate and re-use the articles if you acknowledge the source as  "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.
Visit our web site: http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)

>http://enews.pctpress.org/ (English)

Please direct comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

If links are not working or you desire to receive e-news as plain text  attachments, please let us know. Thank you!