From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Beautiful days in the neighborhood

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:03:52 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

This story and photos available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09064<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09064

>Beautiful days in the neighborhood

San Antonio congregation thrives by reconnecting with
community

>by Toya Richards Hill
>Special to the Presbyterian News Service

Editor's note: This is the first in a series of stories
about congregations engaged in significant outreach and
evangelism ministries, reflecting the General Assembly's
commitment to "Grow Christ's Church Deep and Wide."
[www.pcusa.org/deepandwide] ― Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE ― Natural life changes and unforeseen
circumstances weighed heavily on San Antonio's Divine
Redeemer Presbyterian Church over the years, resulting in a
congregation somewhat disconnected from its community.

Yet in recent years the church has redirected its efforts
and renewed its commitment, making its neighborhood the
focus of ministry in order to grow the church deep and wide.

"Divine Redeemer's mission is to re-establish ourselves as
a congregation of our neighborhood," said the Rev. Rob
Mueller, pastor of Divine Redeemer. In the last six or
seven years, "we've really taken seriously the call to
reconnect with our neighborhood."

Begun as a mission project of the former United
Presbyterian Church, Divine Redeemer formed in 1915 and
grew to become a self-supporting congregation fully
entrenched in its largely first-generation immigrant
community.

In addition, since 1928 the House of Neighborly Service, a
community center initiated by the former Board of National
Missions and now supported by the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A), has operated in the same location as the church.

Mueller said over the years "several positives resulted in
negatives for the church," including the fact that as
families got better educated and gained more economic
mobility they moved to other parts of the city.

Leadership of the House of Neighborly Service also changed
from Presbyterian missionaries, who once provided a direct
link to the church, to staff more reflective of the
community, who ended up being Hispanic Catholics, Mueller
said.

Divine Redeemer was approached a few years after Mueller
became pastor in 1994 about merging with a dying white
congregation located in a growing Latino community
elsewhere in San Antonio, Mueller said.

In many ways "it made some sense," he said, noting that
many members of Divine Redeemer lived in the neighborhood
where the church was considering moving.

"The congregation said no, we belong in this neighborhood,"
Mueller said. Yet the members also acknowledged that Divine
Redeemer would not survive trying to draw in congregants
from other parts of San Antonio, he said.

"We made the decision that our long-term well-being as a
congregation ... was going to be connected to the longevity
and vitality and quality of life in the neighborhood around
us."

"Today we have many, many of the congregation who are
actively engaged in direct ministry with people from the
community," Mueller said, adding that a good number of
those in the community are new arrivals to the United
States.

A plethora of programs and activities have evolved,
including vibrant youth and women's ministries.

A ministry called the House of Teens includes an
after-school program, teen night and a leadership program.
Youth mission trip and retreats, among other things, also
enhance the church's outreach efforts.

Divine Redeemer also has a women's empowerment program
called Aero Dance. The group, which first came together for
dance aerobics, provides support around issues of emotional
and social well-being such as domestic violence and
depression.

In 2006 Aero Dance received a $15,000 grant from the
Presbyterian Committee on the Self Development of People.

Among the largest ways Divine Redeemer connects with its
community is through four community worship celebrations
held during the year, Mueller said.

In the fall a blessing for children, parents and teachers
is a way to collaboratively celebrate the start of the
school year and has "become a wonderful rite," he said. A
Thanksgiving celebration also is held during the fall
season.

In the winter, the church holds a Christmas posada that
includes re-telling the Christmas story, hymns and an
outdoor fiesta complete with some 1,200 tamales for the
crowd, Mueller said. Two-thirds to three-quarters of
attendees are not church members, he said.

In the spring there is a Way of the Cross observance on
Good Friday that helps remember Jesus' suffering, but also
connects with issues in the life of the community, Mueller
said.

Elder Ruben P. Armendariz, church development consultant
for the PC(USA)'s Mission Presbytery, said what's happening
at Divine Redeemer is a model for other congregations.

"They have opened themselves to ... the needs of the
community and to share the facility with the community," he
said.

Sometimes when churches decline the tendency is to close up
the church and begin protecting its assets, Armendariz
said. What Divine Redeemer has done is open itself up and
build upon the culture of the community, he said.

"They have taken advantage of the Hispanic culture," which
is typically centered on Catholicism, said Armendariz, who
was pastor of the church in 1992. Using traditions like the
posada, for example, they are able to invite "the whole
community to participate."

Toya Richards Hill is a free-lance writer in Louisville, KY.

To update your email address, send your old email address
and your new one to
mailto:PCUSANEWS-request@halak.pcusa.org.