From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Primates Statement on the Situation in Gaza

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:27:49 -0800

Statement from the Primates of the Anglican Communion on the Situation in Gaza

Posted On : February 5, 2009 4:51 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/2/5/ACNS4575
Related Categories: ACO - Primates Meeting

Statement of Concern about the situation in Gaza by the Primates and
Moderators of the Anglican Communion at the Primates Meeting in
Alexandria.

We, the Primates and Moderators of the Anglican Communion, meeting in
Alexandria, Egypt, are aware of the great tragedy and human suffering in
this region, especially in Gaza at this time.

We are distressed by the injury and loss of life in Gaza and southern
Israel which has resulted from military actions undertaken both by the
Israeli Defence Force and the forces of Hamas.  We earnestly call for an
immediate cessation of all armed aggression.  We deplore the fact that a
way was not found to continue the ceasefire beyond six months and that
violence has since escalated on both sides.

We mourn all loss of life.  We give thanks for the selfless work of
those ministering in the hospitals and clinics, and caring for the
traumatized, the injured and the dying.  We especially note Al Ahli Arab
Hospital, Gaza, an institution of the Diocese of Jerusalem.  We call
upon our Churches and international organizations to help in the
rebuilding of Gaza and to respond to the enormous humanitarian need.  We
also call upon our governments to use their best efforts to secure an
immediate and lasting ceasefire as an essential precondition to
negotiations leading to a lasting peace.

We recognize the important mediatory role of President Mubarak and the
Government of Egypt in securing an initial ceasefire and pray for all
those, including Senator George Mitchell, engaged in seeking a lasting
solution to an immensely complex and sensitive problem.  We endorse the
rights of the peoples of both Israel and Palestine to live in peace and
security, free from fear, and with dignity and hope.  We pledge
ourselves to use whatever influence we may have to promote such a goal
for Israelis and Palestinians alike.

We wish publicly to thank all those who have made sacrifices for the
many who are suffering and we commit ourselves to stand alongside the
Diocese of Jerusalem and the other Heads of the Churches in the region
to alleviate the long-term suffering of all the communities of the
region.

Finally, we invite all the Churches of the Communion to join us in
praying for those traumatized, injured and bereaved, and pledge
ourselves to support all efforts for reconciliation whether between
individuals or communities.