From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Primates of the Anglican Communion on the situation in Sudan

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:28:57 -0800

Statement of concern from the Primates of the Anglican Communion on the situation in Sudan

Posted On : February 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/2/5/ACNS4576
Related Categories: ACO - Primates Meeting

Statement of Concern about the Sudan Situation by the Primates and
Moderators of the Anglican Communion at their meeting in Alexandria,
February 2009

Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
(Romans 12.12)

As Primates and Moderators of the Anglican Communion, meeting in
Alexandria, Egypt on 4th February, 2009, we have been deeply concerned
to hear of major obstacles to peace in the Sudan which threaten to
undermine efforts to achieve lasting peace and development in the
country.

We are concerned at non-implementation of substantial elements of the
Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) which ended 21 years of conflict in
Southern Sudan and is pre-requisite for achieving peace in the country
as a whole and in Darfur in particular.    We are alarmed at the brutal
attacks and killings taking place in Southern Sudan and the serious
violence which continues to be experienced in Darfur.

We are grieved at the continued suffering of the people of Darfur.  We
call for an immediate end to aerial bombardment and attacks on civilians
and for the parties urgently to work for a negotiated settlement.  We
call for intensified international efforts to achieve peace and respond
to the enormous humanitarian needs.

We consider the atrocities committed by the self-styled Lord's
Resistance Army (LRA) during recent weeks are an affront to humanity
created in the image of God.  Attacks have included killings, child
abductions, executions by amputation and decapitation and other
unspeakable crimes; and have resulted in new internal displacement
affecting more than 30,000 people.   Whole communities have been
seriously affected in Ezo, Ibba and Yambio, Maridi, Mundri and Lui with
reports of violence also spreading to Yei, Lainya, Kajo Keji and Torit.
We appeal for

* Urgent protection and assistance for the communities affected;
* A comprehensive strategy to bring an end to LRA attacks and achieve
reconciliation with justice.

We call upon all governments and the international community not to
abandon the people of Sudan at this time of danger and uncertainty and
to renew pressure and support for the full implementation of the CPA, in
particular for long overdue implementation of its provisions on:
North-South borders; the contested town of Abyei; wealth-sharing,
comprehensive disarmament and the process towards democratic elections.
We appeal to all parties to work to uphold this agreement which is
essential to the future peace and stability of the country and the
region.

We call on our Churches to deepen their solidarity with the people of
Sudan by praying with and for the people of Sudan, supporting
humanitarian responses and urging our governments to address the
pressing needs of the country.  We invite the whole Anglican Communion
to support opportunities for theological education for the Church in the
Sudan.  We commit ourselves to rejoice with our Sudanese brothers and
sisters in hope, to continue to walk alongside them in tribulation; and
to be constant in prayer so that God may bring lasting peace to Sudan.