From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Come one, come all

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:44:47 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

This story available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09077<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09077

>Come one, come all

A monthly column for the church by the General Assembly
stated clerk

by the Rev. Gradye Parsons

Stated clerk of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.)

LOUISVILLE ― I will admit it up front: This column is an
unabashed promotion for the Big Tent event
[www.pcusa.org/bigtent], June 11-13, in Atlanta.

The Big Tent will bring together several of our
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) summer conferences in one
place at the same time so that participants might
experience the breadth and width of the ministries of the
PC(USA).

One of the hopes of moving to biennial General Assemblies
was to create opportunities for Presbyterians to come
together nationally in non-legislative meetings in non-GA
years. As someone once told me, the church needs
conversations that aren't required to produce a product at
the end. The Big Tent fits that description to a tee.

Ten conferences will be held in conjunction with the Big
Tent ― National Multicultural Church, Stewardship and
Investment, Evangelism and Church Growth, Healthy Ministry,
Peacemaking, Presbyterian Communicators' Network, the
Presbyterian Health Education and Welfare Association's
Social Justice Biennial, plus the Racial Ethnic Convocation
and the New Immigrants Ministries Convocation.

One of the ten, the National Elders Conference, is
especially close to my heart. I believe the key to the
renewal of our church is reclaiming the vision of elders as
it is described in chapter six of The Book of Order. Theirs
is an important spiritual ministry. This will be the second
event of its kind and should help folks get ready to fill
those important shoes.

Participants who come to the Big Tent will be able to
attend their usual conference and drop in on parts of other
conferences. There'll be shared meals, common worship, and
a common workshop time with a broad category of subjects.

Find out more and register online [www.pcusa.org/bigtent].

As you can tell, I am a big believer in the Big Tent. It
will be a unique opportunity to experience the various and
exciting ways God is working in the PC(USA) ― a real
smorgasbord of ministry delights.

So, mark the date and spread the word. Gather a crew and
come to Atlanta. It will be the "happening spot" in the
PC(USA) in June!

To update your email address, send your old email address
and your new one to
mailto:PCUSANEWS-request@halak.pcusa.org.