From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Seminary news

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:29:09 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

This story available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09087<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09087

>Seminary news

>by Jerry L. Van Marter
>Presbyterian News Service

DUBUQUE, IA ― The application deadline has been extended
until Feb. 15 for persons wishing to enroll for the
University of Dubuque Theological Seminary
[http://udts.dbq.edu] 2009 Doctor of Ministry cohort in
Missional Spirituality. The first residency period for the
three-year cohort is May 17-29.

The program will chart a course of study that is guided by
the Great Commandment ― the love of God, neighbor, and
self. Students will learn to strengthen the sacramental
connection between devotion and mission in light of their
own ministry context.

Cohort leaders are the Rev. Beth McCaw, the seminary's
pastor to students; the Rev. Timothy Slemmons, assistant
professor of teaching and worship; and the Rev. Tammy
Wiens, associate for spiritual formation in the General
Assembly Council's Theology Worship and Education ministry.

CHICAGO ― On Feb. 4 the Rev. Joanne Lindstrom was installed
as director of experiential education and field studies at
McCormick Theological Seminary [www.mccormick.edu].

Appointed to the faculty in 2007 as assistant professor of
ministry, Lindstrom has led McCormick's Field Studies
program for more than 12 years, during which time she has
developed the program into one of the richest, most
diversified resources for the study and practice of
ministry in the country, boasting ecumenical partnerships
with a broad spectrum of congregations and agencies in the
greater Chicago metropolitan area.

An ordained minister in the American Baptist Churches USA,
Lindstrom has been an active member of the American Baptist
Churches of Metro Chicago and has served since 1994 as
Associate Minister at The First Baptist Church of Chicago,
where she has been a leader in adult education, worship and
stewardship. Earlier this year, she was honored by the
National Coalition for Women in Ministry.

SAN ANSELMO, CA ― The Farlough Institute at San Francisco
Theological Seminary [www.sfts.edu] and the University of
California-Berkeley Department of African American Studies
are co-sponsoring a panel discussion Feb. 20 to examine the
impact of Barack Obama's election as U.S. president.

Panelists include former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown
and Charles Henry, chair of the African American Studies
department at Cal-Berkeley. The Rev. James Noel, SFTS
professor of African American Christianity, will moderate
the event, which will be held on the UC-Berkeley campus.

Noel said the purpose of the panel is to ask whether
Obama's election represents just structural change or
significant progress in social justice issues. "We don't
yet know what the importance is," Noel said. "We want to
talk about whether this is merely cosmetic that an African
American is in the position or does this represent change
for those of us concerned about what Martin Luther King and
others on the front lines of social economic justice were
concerned about."

PRINCETON, NJ ― Scholar, teacher, and poet J. Philip Newell
has spent much of the last decade bringing the insights of
the ancient Celtic Christian tradition of Scotland to
people across the world.

>From Feb. 23-26 he will be at Princeton Theological
Seminary's [www.ptsem.edu] Erdman Center of Continuing
Education to direct a spiritual program and retreat titled
"Christ of the Celts: The Healing of Creation." Newell is
the former warden of Iona Abbey in the Western Isles of
Scotland, and is currently a writer/theologian at the
Scottish Cathedral of the Isles and a companion theologian
at the American Spirituality Center of Casa del Sol in New
Mexico.

In his newest book, Christ of the Celts, Newell focuses on
Christology - how the Celtic tradition illumines who Christ
is. Newell also describes in the book's prelude the
"longing for peace within the human soul today, a yearning
within us and between us in the most important
relationships of our lives" and "offers the ancient
traditions of Celtic Christianity as a way forward in
healing humankind and the earth.

DECATUR, GA - The committee searching for Columbia
Theological Seminary's [www.ctsnet.edu] new president met
for the second time Jan. 27 and approved a position
description for the new president.

The meeting included a session with the current president,
Laura Mendenhall, and reports from meetings with the staff
that were conducted by faculty members Rodger Nishioka and
Christine Yoder, who are members of the search committee.

"We welcome nominations," says Lee Bowman, who chairs the
committee. "It is our hope to conduct initial interviews as
soon as possible."

To update your email address, send your old email address
and your new one to
mailto:PCUSANEWS-request@halak.pcusa.org.