From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC Blessing of the bikes gets two-wheel season rolling

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:27:23 -0800

Blessing of the bikes gets two-wheel season rolling

Written by Staff Reports
February 10, 2009

When it comes to navigating a two-wheeled vehicle around the California's San Francisco Bay Area, it's good to have a helmet and a higher power on your side. On Sunday, Feb. 8, Eden UCC in Hayward, Calif., held a blessing ceremony for motorcycles and bikes and their riders.

The Bike and Biker Blessing, officiated by the Rev. Arlene Nehring, Senior Pastor of Eden UCC, took place on the plaza in front of the church immediately following their 10 a.m. service featuring Nehring's sermon, "Biker Jesus."

Nehring estimates there were at least 30 motorcyclists in addition to 15 "other wheeled vehicles" that took part in the blessing.

"We've blessed the bikes and bikers of Hayward, Castro Valley, and San Leandro for safety and because biking is a healthy, fun and environmentally-conscious way to get around the Bay Area," said Nehring.

The request to bless the bikes early in 2009 came from Kevin Casey, an Eden UCC member who is vice-president of Pathfinders, a clean and sober motorcycle club active in the Bay Area promoting healthy living and an active lifestyle through motorcycling.

Other churches around the country are planning their "blessing of the bikes" services for 2009. Polk Grove UCC in Dayton, Ohio, has held their service for the past four years.

"It is a fairly new thing for us," says the Rev. John Fowler, Senior Pastor at Polk Grove UCC. "But we have lots of motorcycle riders in the church, including myself, and we've had a request for [the blessing of the bikes] this year as well." Fowler is planning their service for later in the spring.

"Eden's Bike and Biker Blessing was the first blessing of the 2009 biking season," said Casey. "It's a must-attend event for anyone seeking a little help from above for their bike and for safety on the road in the year ahead."