From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - Two UCC ministers join Day1 advisory board

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:48:54 -0800

Two UCC ministers join Day1 advisory board

February - March 2009

Two UCC pastors have been appointed to the advisory board for Day1, the award-winning ecumenical radio program broadcast nationally on 150 stations and online at www.Day1.org. The Rev. Lillian Daniel, senior minister, First Congregational UCC, Glen Ellyn, Ill., and the Rev. Ozzie E. Smith, Jr., senior pastor, Covenant UCC, South Holland, Ill., were named to the board in December 2008.

The Day1 advisory board recommends exceptional preachers to staff and trustees for the program from across America. Members also provide feedback on issues regarding the production, distribution, web activities and development efforts of the organization.

Additional new members are the Rev. Kenneth Carter, senior pastor, Providence United Methodist Church, Charlotte, N.C. ; the Rev. Anna Carter Florence, Peter Marshall associate professor of homiletics, Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Ga.; the Rev. Cleophus LaRue, Francis Landey Patton associate professor of homiletics, Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, N.J. ; the Rev. Daniel Matthews, Jr., rector, St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Atlanta, Ga.; and the Rev. Nora Tubbs Tisdale, professor of homiletics, Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Conn.

"We are honored and thrilled that these church and seminary leaders, all of whom are outstanding preachers in their own right, have enthusiastically agreed to join our advisory team," said Day1 host and producer Peter Wallace. "Their wisdom and insights from the front lines of preaching in today's culture will certainly strengthen our efforts to serve as the voice of the mainline churches."

The seven join a roster of 25 other pastors and professors on the Day1 advisory board.

"Some of the best preachers in the English-speaking world have offered their gifts through Day1," said the Rev. J. Bennett Guess, UCC director of communications. "I am so proud that the United Church of Christ is committed to this important ecumenical, prophetic ministry and that our UCC pastors have this ongoing venue to proclaim the gospel of our Stillspeaking God."

Formerly known as "The Protestant Hour," Day1 has been broadcast every week for more than 63 years, winning numerous awards, including the George Foster Peabody Award and the Communicators' Award for Excellence in inspirational radio.

Day1 is produced by the Alliance for Christian Media in association with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Episcopal Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the United Church of Christ and the United Methodist Church.