From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline: 'We Are Able' workcamp seeks participants

From cobnews <cobnews@brethren.org>
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:11:03 -0600

Newsline: Church of the Brethren News Service -- Feb. 12, 2009
Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford, News Director
800-323-8039 ext. 260 -- cobnews@brethren.org

>'WE ARE ABLE' WORKCAMP SEEKS PARTICIPANTS

(Feb. 12, 2009) Elgin, IL -- The Church of the Brethren is offering a workc amp for intellectually disabled youth and young adults (ages 16-23) and vol unteer service partners of the same age. The event will be held from July 6 -10 in New Windsor, Md.

The "We Are Able" workcamp will enable intellectually disabled youth and yo ung adults to serve as volunteers in a supportive environment designed to o vercome their challenges and honor their gifts.

The workcamp will be coordinated by Jeanne Davies, coordinator of the Churc h of the Brethren's Workcamp Ministry, and directed by Julie Foster, a post secondary transition educator and coordinator for the Harrisonburg (Va.) Ci ty Public Schools in the Shenandoah Valley Regional Special Education Progr am. Foster works with intellectually disabled young adults in a post second ary education program emphasizing employment readiness and community living  skills.

To apply as a youth or young adult service partner, or as a participant wit h I.D., go to the registration page at www.brethrenworkcamps.org and downlo ad the informational letter and application. Return the application to the  Workcamp Office, 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to continu ing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in  community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith t raditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrated it s 300th anniversary in 2008. It counts more than 125,000 members across the  United States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Nig eria, Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and India.