From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ohio Lutherans Keep Hope Alive in Depressed Economy

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:34:02 -0600

Title: Ohio Lutherans Keep Hope Alive in Depressed Economy
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>February 13, 2009

Ohio Lutherans Keep Hope Alive in Depressed Economy
09-042-SH

CHICAGO (ELCA) - John Bacher learned two things from his
dad: paint and wallpaper. Bacher runs the northeast Ohio store
his dad opened 45 years ago.

His father profited from the steel industry boon that
thrived in Trumbull County until the 1970s. General Motors also
opened a plant and grew to become the county's largest employer.

The father's good fortune is now a test of faith for his
Lutheran son. The county leads Ohio in unemployment.  Thousands
of people are losing jobs and homes. They're not buying paint and
wallpaper.

"It's seems like when you're almost down to zero, someone
comes through and pays their bill," said Bacher, a member of
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Warren.

He views those moments as acts of divine intervention and a
reason why the store is still afloat.

Emmanuel is one of several congregations of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in the county. To cut expenses,
some of the congregations are combining social outreach,
education and youth ministry programs. They also contribute to
the food and clothing outreach coordinated by Emmanuel.

"If the churches don't work together, we won't all survive,"
said the Rev. Steven Ritter, who serves Lutheran congregations in
Newton Falls and Lordstown.

"It's a depressed area and people are depressed," he said.
"We've just got to believe that God is still in charge and that
we'll get through this together. We can't lose hope."

In less than three years the county's job losses include
3,100 workers at Delphi Packard Electric, 800 at Severstal Warren
steel mill and 2,400 at the GM plant.

"When GM cuts, it impacts everything," said retired GM
worker Ed Calain, also a member of Emmanuel. "When the economy
goes down, the giving in church goes down, too."

The number of donors making pledges recently dropped 22
percent at St. Paul Lutheran Church, Warren, according to Jim
Illencik, president of the council. Attendance is also falling.

"People have lost jobs, homes, everything," Illencik said.
"They think if they can't contribute money to the church, they
shouldn't come. It makes all of us sad. We want them to come and
feel supported and hear a word of hope."

John Lacy, who serves on St. Paul's finance committee, said
the congregation received a $5,000 utilities bill in January and
may need to purchase a new roof soon.
Members want to call a full-time pastor. They met the budget last
year only because the pastor was part-time.

"We're already behind budget this year," Lacy said. "We've
cut about everything we can cut. It's frightening that we're just
surviving from week to week."

Because GM accounts for 70 percent of the county's tax base,
dozens of police officers, firefighters and city employees are
losing jobs. A law enforcement official said people's spirits are
down, incidents of domestic violence are up. So are home break-
ins.

"People who have never thought of doing these crimes in the
past may consider it now," said Brent Milhoan, Lordstown's police
chief. "Bills are coming in. They need food. They're frustrated
not to find work or work that pays a decent wage."

Valentine's Day is usually the biggest day of the year for
Peggy Jensen Weller, a Lutheran florist running the Warren
business that's been in her family for 80 years.

Selling flowers, like wallpaper, is an uphill battle during
a recession.

"Flowers are a luxury now, even at funerals," said Jensen
Weller, an Emmanuel member. She tries to minimize financial
stresses with prayer.

"I believe that with God all things are possible," she said.
"Sometimes bad situations turn out to be blessings."

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog