From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Baha'i news: Baha'is express gratitude for open letter of support

From Sally Weeks <sweeks@bwc.org>
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:29:35 +0200

>Baha'i World News Service
>http://news.bahai.org<http://news.bahai.org/
>For more information, contact: news@bahai.org<mailto:news@bahai.org

Baha'is express gratitude for open letter of support

NEW YORK, 15 February (BWNS) - The Baha'i International Community has issue d a statement of gratitude to the Iranian intellectuals, scholars, writers,  journalists, activists, and artists throughout the world who signed an ope n letter apologizing for their silence during Iran's long-running persecuti on of the Baha'is.

The open letter from the Iranians - dated 3 February and signed so far by 2 43 men and women living in 19 countries - had asked Baha'is to forgive them  "for the wrongs committed against the Baha'i community of Iran" over the l ast century and a half.

"We will no longer be silent when injustice is visited upon you," the lette r said after enumerating some of the ways Baha'is have been persecuted, fro m "barbaric murders" to depriving youth of higher education.

In response, the Baha'i International Community told the signatories that t he letter "brought a degree of solace and relief to the pain that your Baha 'i fellow citizens endure."

"On their behalf and that of the Baha'is throughout the world we convey our  profound gratitude and appreciation for a deed of such historical moment,"  the Baha'i message said, referring to the publication of the open letter.

The letter was particularly significant, said the Baha'i response, in that  it rejected the milieu of intimidation created by Iranian authorities throu ghout the decades that served to silence "those fair-minded and informed in dividuals who had always wished to rise up" in support of the Baha'is.

Indeed, in a press statement yesterday, the organizers behind the letter sa id that many more people would like to sign.

"We are confident," their statement said, "that many more individuals, resp onsible and humane individuals, both inside and outside Iran, will add thei r seal of approval to it, as they become aware of such a letter, and we hop e that the independent and committed Iranian media will join us in dissemin ating this message."

The open letter began with the heading "We are ashamed! A century and a hal f of oppression and silence is enough!"

"We are ashamed that during the last 30 years, the killing of Baha'is solel y on the basis of their religious beliefs has gained legal status and over  200 Baha'is have been slain on this account," said one clause.

"We are ashamed that a group of intellectuals have justified coercion again st the Baha'i community if Iran," the letter continued.

The letter ended thus: "We stand by you in achieving all the rights enshrin ed in the Universal Declaration of the Human Rights. Let us join hands in r eplacing hatred and ignorance with love and tolerance."

The Baha'i response also ended with a statement of hope: "The ardent hope o f Iranian Baha'is is to be able to labor, shoulder to shoulder, with their  compatriots for the progress and exaltation of their country that it may as sume its seat of honor and glory among the family of nations."

The open letter was initially signed by 42 people but more than 200 others  added their signatures in the 10 days after it was first published. Their c ountries of residence were listed as Iran, Sweden, Canada, United States, G reat Britain, Germany, Australia, France, Italy, Netherlands, Austria, Spai n, Malaysia, Denmark, Belgium, Mexico, Turkey, Switzerland, and Norway.

The Muslim Network for Baha'i Rights has offered a response, stating that s uch a letter "by a group of Iranian intellectuals and activists (was) truly  inspirational. Change and progress cannot be brought about until mistakes  of the past are acknowledged and admitted, and a resolve is made for them t o never be repeated."

The network answered the "We are ashamed ..." clauses of the open letter wi th declarations of "We are proud ..."

"We are proud that after a long period of silence, voices of protest are no w being registered," the network wrote on its Web site. "We are proud that  in the face of the increasing attacks against the Baha'is of Iran, the inte llectual community refuses to be silent. ... We are proud of your speaking  out against the painful reality in Iran."

Another response came from the Institute on Religion & Public Policy based  in Washington, D.C.

"The open letter is a great first step in publicizing and accepting societa l responsibility for the way Baha'is have been persecuted over the last 150  years," said Joseph K. Grieboski, president of the institute. "Now it's up  to the Iranian government to do the same and stop its abuse of the communi ty."

For more information about the Baha'is in Iran, go to the Baha'i World News  Service home page at http://news.bahai.org<http://news.bahai.org/