From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] What have we got to lose?

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:59:45 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

This story available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09120<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09120

>What have we got to lose?

A monthly column for the church by the General Assembly
moderator

by the Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow

Moderator of the 218th General Assembly (2008) of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

SAN FRANCISCO ― I was privileged last month to participate
in the Congressional Black Caucus inaugural interfaith
prayer service as a representative of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.).

And while the historic nature of the presidential
inauguration was certainly important, I was most struck by
the constant remembrance of the Rev. Martin Luther King's
commitment to non-violence in response to the shackles of
oppression.

As I sat there, I could not help but wonder what it is that
shackles us today. Where are our acts of civil disobedience
called for in the world, our communities, and the church?
Yes, things have changed much since the days of the
greatest tensions of the civil rights movement, but we as
human beings must always be vigilant to those places where
we hold each other down, respond to evil with evil, and
stay silent when we should speak.

Dr. King talked about the power of non-violence resting in
the fact that it does not offer a response in-kind to those
who choose violence and intimidation. A non-violent
response to violence changes the terms of the relationship.
It disarms ― maybe not at first, but in the end, the love,
power, and spirit of non-violence conquers all.

When it comes to the future of the PC(USA), I think we need
to claim and live out words of non-violence. Too many
times, I have seen words lofted between people with the
sole purpose to cause pain, marginalize, bully, and shackle
the other into some rigid characterization not of their
making. We use words to hurt or conquer. We use words to
flex our muscle, hold onto our power, and, too often,
destroy the other.

What if we were to use words of non-violence that do not
respond to evil with evil or exacerbate conflict? What if
we were to use words ― challenging, prophetic, and loving ―
that are meant to change the ways in which we move through
difficult times?

What if we were to use words that confuse the status quo of
intentional, destructive interactions and, instead, allowed
ourselves to be all that God intends ― a community of
people working to be a model of peace and reconciliation in
a world that yearns so desperately to see one?

>What if? What have we got to lose?

This will be my prayer and my commitment this Lenten
season. I hope you will join me.

Please continue to be part of the many conversations online
[http://www.mod.reyes-chow.com].

To update your email address, send your old email address
and your new one to
mailto:PCUSANEWS-request@halak.pcusa.org.