From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] March 1 Bulletin inserts mark Episcopal Relief and Development Sunday

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 06:52:54 -0500

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - March 1 Bulletin inserts mark Episcopal Relief and
Development Sunday
* WORLD REPORT - SOUTHERN AFRICA: Anglican bishops shocked at
withdrawal of ARVs in Free State
* WORLD REPORT - ZIMBABWE: Church leaders hold back on government  verdict
* MISSION - Anglicans in the Americas plan mission gathering
* MISSION - Anglican group plans to request new network for
evangelism, church growth
* MISSION - Advocacy group looks to General Convention
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - February 22 - World Mission Sunday - Year B
* DAYBOOK - February 19, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Martin Luther

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

March 1 Bulletin inserts mark Episcopal Relief and Development Sunday

The first Sunday of Lent is Episcopal Relief and Development Sunday in
the Episcopal Church. Episcopal Life Weekly bulletin inserts for March
1 provide information on ERD's work with the Millennium Development
Goals and with projects worldwide to fight extreme poverty and
disease. Resources for congregations and individuals who want to help
are also included.

Bulletin inserts are available here:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

SOUTHERN AFRICA: Anglican bishops shocked at withdrawal of ARVs in Free
State

[Anglican Church of Southern Africa] The bishops of the Anglican
Church of Southern Africa February 18 criticized what they called the
"irresponsible" decision of the South African Province of Free State's
(http://www.fs.gov.za/index.html) Department of Health to withdraw
anti-retroviral medication from HIV positive patients because of a
shortage of money.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_105146_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - - -

ZIMBABWE: Church leaders hold back on government verdict

[Ecumenical News International] Southern African church leaders have
yet to endorse the new power-sharing government in Zimbabwe where
citizens are hoping for a revival of the country's inflation-ravaged
economy, the reinstitution of the rule of law and the creation of an
internationally-recognized administration.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_105142_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Anglicans in the Americas plan mission gathering

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

Members of the six Anglican Communion provinces in the Americas will
gather February 22-27 in San José, Costa Rica for the Conference of
the Anglican Churches in the Americas in Mutual Responsibility and
Mission.

The February meeting will allow participants to tell their colleagues
about their mission and ministry along with training opportunities. In
addition, conference participants will spend Ash Wednesday working at
various ministry sites with Costa Rican Anglicans.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_105148_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Anglican group plans to request new network for evangelism, church  growth

>>From staff reports

[Episcopal News Service] A group of Anglicans "involved in
evangelistic and church growth ministry" plan to ask the next meeting
of the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) to set up a network to
"enhance collaborative work and mutual support" in those ministries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_105143_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - - -

>Advocacy group looks to General Convention

Chicago Consultation says it's committed to canons, Anglican Communion

[Episcopal News Service] During its recent meeting at Seabury-Western
Theological Seminary, the Chicago Consultation said it would support
efforts to have the Episcopal Church's General Convention "exclude any
outside restrictions" on the canons governing episcopal elections.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_105143_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>February 22 - World Mission Sunday - Year B

2 Kings 2:1-12; Psalm 50:1-6; 2 Corinthians 4:3-6; Mark 9:2-9

>By the Rev. David Copley

The transfiguration of Jesus is perhaps the definitive mountaintop
experience. Here on the top of a mountain, Peter, James, and John are
left with no doubts as to Jesus' credentials. In this account from the
Gospel of Mark, Jesus is filled with the radiance of the presence of
God with his "clothes becoming dazzling white, such as no one on earth
could bleach them."

Then we read of the presence of Elijah and Moses, further confirmation
that Jesus is indeed the long-awaited Messiah. And finally there is
the voice of God booming through the clouds declaring, "This is my
Son, the Beloved, listen to him!"

Who could argue with the voice of God coming through a cloud?

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_104663_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On February 19, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On February 19, 1377, John Wycliffe stood trial in
London's St. Paul's Cathedral for his criticism of the church.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Martin Luther" from Penguin Group, by Martin Marty, 199 pages,
hardcover, c. 2004, $19.99

[Penguin Group] Martin Marty -- professor, author, pastor, historian,
and journalist -- is, in Bill Moyers's words, "the most influential
interpreter of American religion." In Martin Luther, this man of
unswerving faith, rooted in his own Lutheran tradition yet deeply
committed to helping enrich a pluralist society, brings to powerful
life the devout Reformation figure whose despair for a perilous world,
felt anew in our own times, drove him to a ceaseless search for
assurance of God's love. It was one that led him steadily to a fresh
interpretation of human interaction with God -- as born solely from
God's grace and not the Church's mediation -- and to the famous theses
he posted at Wittenberg in 1517.

Luther's persistence in this belief, and in his long battle with
Church leaders -- embellished by rich historical background -- make
Marty's biography riveting reading. Luther's obdurate yet receptive
stance, so different from the travestied image of "fundamentalism" we
currently face, restored the balance between religion and the
individual. Martin Luther is at once a fascinating history, a story of
immense spiritual passion and amazing grace, and a superb intellectual
biography.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm