From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Auburn Theological Seminary names new president

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:51:13 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

This story available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09130<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09130

Auburn Theological Seminary names new president

Katharine Rhodes Henderson will take office July 1

>by Bethany Furkin
>Presbyterian News Service

LOUISVILLE - Auburn Theological Seminary's board of
directors elected a new president for the school today.

Katharine Rhodes Henderson will succeed Barbara G. Wheeler,
who has been president of the New York City seminary since
1979. Henderson will take office July 1.

"Recognizing in Katharine a person of international
reputation who has all the qualities and commitments we
seek, we are proud to appoint her as president," said Mark
Hostetter, chairman of Auburn's board of directors. "We are
excited that Auburn is poised to have even deeper
transformational impact on religious leadership."

Henderson joined the Auburn staff 15 years ago and has
since served as executive vice president. In that position,
she complemented Wheeler's national leadership role in the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Henderson also has experience
in parish ministry and a commitment to multifaith
engagement, women's leadership and business ethics and
bringing religious issues before the public.

Henderson has built Auburn's department of institutional
advancement and launched several of Auburn's signature
programs, including Auburn Media and Face to Face/Faith to
Faith, a program that brings together teenage leaders from
religious conflict zones to learn how their religious
traditions can be resources for making peace.

During her presidency, Wheeler strengthened Auburn's ties
to the PC(USA), oversaw the expansion of educational
programs and created the seminary's Center for Study of
Theological Education, which she will now lead.

"CSTE's research and its consulting service have grown
rapidly to respond to needs for information and requests
for assistance," Wheeler said. "I am delighted that
Auburn's board has concurred with my request to turn my
full attention to CSTE's work. And I am deeply gratified
that the board has elected Katharine Henderson, my most
admired colleague and closest working partner, to succeed
me as president."

As president, Henderson's goals will focus on highlighting
Auburn as a center for religious leaders to find
theological depth, multifaith understanding and literacy
about the moral dimensions of public issues.

In addition to strengthening programs for Christian
leaders, Henderson has attracted a multifaith staff. Among
the programs leaders - a Reform rabbi who leads Auburn's
multifaith work and a Palestinian Muslim who directs Face
to Face/Faith to Faith.

She serves on the boards of the New York Women's Foundation
and the Ghost Ranch Camp and Conference Center. She is a
parish associate of The First Presbyterian Church in New
York City.

Information for this story furnished by Shari K. Brink,
director of communication, Auburn Theological Seminary.

To update your email address, send your old email address
and your new one to
mailto:PCUSANEWS-request@halak.pcusa.org.