From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Young Lutheran Musicians Learn the Music of the Global Church

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:37:07 -0600

Title: Young Lutheran Musicians Learn the Music of the Global Church
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>February 24, 2009

Young Lutheran Musicians Learn the Music of the Global Church
09-049-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA)-- For Katie Ernst, Minneapolis, music is a
universal language.  Music is a way to bridge cultures, "to bring
the other to your place," she said.

In an effort to incorporate music from around the world into
a singing assembly, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) is training young adult musicians like Ernst to use and
teach global music.

Music offers the opportunity to create partnerships and share
stories of how God works in the lives of people, said Ernst. One
doesn't need to be fluent in Spanish, Swahili or French. The
singing assembly can still sing songs in various languages, she
said.

"People share their stories and experiences through music.
My dream job is to engage in social activism through the arts,
particularly music," said Ernst, a recent graduate of the
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.  In addition to being a
songwriter and percussionist, Ernst earned a degree in social
justice and gender studies.

Ernst and 50 other young adult musicians gathered here Jan.
29-30 for the ELCA Global Music Training Event.  The event is
one of two designed to equip ELCA members to lead the musical
component for and/or co-host the new ELCA Global Formation
Events. There are three Global Formation Events scheduled for
2009, and 20 are planned for 2010. Music is a significant part
of these events.

Nate Houge, a church musician, said he attended the music
training event to grow in his understanding of the global
church.

"I have neighbors from Honduras, the Dominican Republic,
Philippines and East Africa," said Houge.  "To be a worshipping
community that reflects this (diversity), I need to learn how
to gather people's stories and incorporate that into my music."

Houge serves at Christ Lutheran Church, Capital Hill,
Minn., and Humble Walk Lutheran Church, St. Paul. In addition
to his church work, Houge performs at coffee shops and bars.

"Faith is an important part of my life, and I work to keep
faith congruent with songwriting," Houge said.

At the training event music leaders Tom Witt, Mary Preus
and the Rev. Jose Antonio Machado, of the musical ensemble
"Bread for the Journey," talked about singing the "music of
the global church" and "leading assembly singing in challenging
times." Bread for the Journey is featured at national ELCA Global
Mission Events.

Dr. I-to Loh, an ethnomusicologist, hymnologist and composer,
Tainan, Taiwan, spoke on the trends in ecumenical worship,
problems of contextualization in music and liturgy, and Asian
styles in Asian hymns.

"Global music is a very powerful tool. It offers a lens
through which congregations engage in accompaniment with the
world and experience God's diversity," said Sunitha Mortha,
director for global formation, ELCA Global Mission.

But there can be "pitfalls" to using global music,
particularly when global music becomes a commodity. According
to the Rev. Teresita "Tita" C. Valeriano, North American
regional officer, Lutheran World Federation, there "is a danger
when we globalize music.  When music is exported, who claims
ownership? Who profits?"

"For many communities around the world, music is shared
from one person to another, from generation to generation
through oral tradition.  This music belongs to the community,"
Valeriano said.

"But those who travel and have access to technology have
the power to claim ownership and copyright music," she said.
"When that happens, permission to use the music must be sought,
and this brings pain to our friends worldwide, who can no longer
claim or profit from the music that's rightfully theirs."

But there is a desire to share music with one another, and
it is not about hoarding or making a profit, said Valeriano.
"Global music has the ability to nurture and support one another's
faith, and that is a gift."

"Music is not only about the production of black and white
dots, it is about telling and preserving stories," said the Rev.
Rafael Malpica Padilla, executive director, ELCA Global Mission.
He talked about accompaniment and worship.  ELCA mission personnel
operate under the "accompaniment" methodology of mission in the
world. Malpica Padilla defines accompaniment as "walking together
in solidarity that practices interdependence and mutuality."
- - -

Information about ELCA Global Events is at

http://tinyurl.com/armp9v on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog