From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Chart a New Plan for Evangelism

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 4 Mar 2009 14:47:16 -0600

Title: Lutherans Chart a New Plan for Evangelism
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>March 4, 2009

>Lutherans Chart a New Plan for Evangelism
>09-058-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- As a mainline denomination, the 4.7
million-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
is engaging in an effort to start new congregations and
strengthen its existing 10,448 congregations across the
country.

Each of the ELCA's 65 synods is creating a mission strategy
unique to its regional settings, that brings together
congregations and unite them in serving their communities, said
the Rev. Stephen Bouman, executive director, ELCA Evangelical
Outreach and Congregational Mission (EOCM).

"All mission is local, and mission is about relationship,"
he said.  "Every person is a missionary, every pastor is a
mission director, and every congregation is a mission station
for the sake of the world," Bouman said.

The new design, "Evangelizing Congregations Missional Plan"
embraces America's growing diversity while renewing congregations.

"When (a congregation) loses its connection with community,
the congregation begins to die," Bouman said. "We want to help
congregations reconnect or strengthen their relationships with
the surrounding communities."

"Our move is not a program but people, who will serve as
icons for evangelical mission," Bouman said.

In February Bouman announced the implementation of a
director for evangelical mission in each of the synods. That
person will serve as a mission leader, trained in community
organizing and versed on current U.S. immigration issues, he
said.

"If we don't get the immigration thing right, we don't
deserve to be a church," Bouman said.  "We are Lutheran, we
are pro-immigrant.  We must invite people, as they are, to be
part of this church."

The Rev. Patricia A. Davenport, director for evangelical
mission in the ELCA Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod,
Philadelphia, said the plan involves not only the commitment
of pastors "but the equipping, empowering and enabling of local
indigenous people for leadership."

Davenport said there are people of African descent and
African immigrants, primarily from Liberia and Tanzania, who
are working to build up the synod's mission congregations and
deepen connections with communities.  "We are seeing change,"
she said, adding that the plan "brings us back to our Lutheran
core.  We're all disciples, wherever we are."

According to the Rev. Gloria Keiser Dovre, director for
evangelical mission, ELCA Southeastern Iowa Synod, Iowa City,
for many people "faith is first taught in the home," with
respect to how people define home and family.  While "teaching
faith at home" is critical work, Dovre said the synod will also
work to lift up Word and Sacrament, build connections with
people, support spiritual wholeness and health and wellness.

EOCM's plan also calls for a new "faith practice
initiative" to focus the church's mission among people living
in poverty and "the stranger among us," central to a biblical
vision of the church's outreach, Bouman said. "Prayer will
permeate every meeting, decision and area of congregational
life," he said.

"Those who do collective faith practices grow. When we're
in prayer and discernment about God's plan, that way of being
corporate disciples will help us thrive," Bouman said.

"We need to find connections with communities, especially
if it's about making a difference in the lives of people. It's
about where the people of God live, and building mission there."
- - -

Information about ELCA Evangelical Outreach and
Congregational Mission is at http://www.ELCA.org/eocm
on the church's Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news