From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] What happens when the bush stops burning?

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:39:31 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To ensure continued delivery, please add newsservice@pcusa.org
to your address book or safe senders list.

this week if you haven't already.

This story available online:

www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09172<http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2009/09172

>What happens when the bush stops burning?

A monthly column for the church by the General Assembly
vice-moderator

by the Rev. Byron Wade

Vice-moderator of the 218th PC(USA) General Assembly

RALEIGH, NC ― I remember very well the day of commencement
from Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary. I was
graduating with honors. I had a master's degree from Union
Theological Seminary-Presbyterian School of Christian
Education. I was definitely ready to serve a congregation
and was energized to do ministry.

The commencement speaker that day was the Rev. Renita
Weems, former professor of Old Testament at Vanderbilt
Divinity School. Her message was entitled, "What Happens
When the Bush Stops Burning?" from the call of Moses in
Exodus 3. She asked us, "What will you do in-between the
first time you heard from God and the next time you do?"

In her message, I was reminded of the "burning bush"
moments when God is present in our lives ― ordination and
installation of pastors, marriages, births of children,
formation of friendships or relationships, and so forth.
Those are the times when God's presence burns brightly in
our lives.

But as life goes along, things happen ― church conflicts,
broken relationships, loss of loved ones, periods of
economic recession, loss of employment, and more. In those
times, we cannot feel the presence of God, and we don't
know when we will hear next from God.

Rev. Weems ended her message that day by telling the story
of a time when she was invited to be a guest preacher. She
recalled that she was going through some difficulties in
her personal life that particular Sunday. As the choir
sang, she heard the most beautiful voice. She wanted to see
who was singing, so she turned around to look at the choir.

The voice was coming from a man whose face was totally
disfigured. She knew then that God used that man to speak a
word of comfort to her in a time of need.

What happens to you when the bush stops burning? What do
you do in between the last time you heard from God and the
next time?

For me, it is helpful to remember Rev. Weems' message,
especially during this Lenten season. God speaks to us in
unexpected ways to let us know the "bush is still burning."