From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Iran May Free Imprisoned Journalist, ELCA College Alumna

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:36:28 -0600

Title: Iran May Free Imprisoned Journalist, ELCA College Alumna
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>March 6, 2009

Iran May Free Imprisoned Journalist, ELCA College Alumna
09-059-SH

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A Lutheran college alumna working as a
journalist in Tehran may soon be released from an Iran prison
where she's been held since late January, according to March 6
news reports quoting an Iranian official.

Roxana Saberi, 31, is slated to deliver the May commencement
address at her alma mater -- Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.
Concordia is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

"We have her in our prayers," said Dr. Pamela M. Jolicoeur,
Concordia president.

For the past six years Saberi worked as a freelance
journalist in Tehran, filing reports for National Public Radio,
the BBC and other news outlets.  Iranian officials said they
revoked her journalism credentials three years ago.

Reza Saberi, 67, told the ELCA News Service his daughter
also has been writing a book and attending school in Iran. She
planned to move back to the United States "for good" in the
spring.

"We are very grateful for everyone's concern and their
prayers," said Saberi, an Iranian who moved to Fargo, N.D., in
1980 with his wife Akiko, who is Japanese.

Roxana Saberi was born in the United States and grew up in
Fargo. After earning a degree in mass communications from
Concordia, she pursued graduate degrees from Northwestern
University, Evanston, Ill., and Cambridge University, England.

Dr. Donald E. Rice, an ELCA member and Concordia professor
who mentored  Saberi, called her a remarkable talent. "She was
always very interested in the news," he said.

Saberi was crowned Miss North Dakota in 1997, while a 20-
year-old student at Concordia. She then placed in the top 10 at
the Miss America pageant. A newspaper called her "the pageant
brain" after she won the first-ever Miss America Scholar award
for her 3.97 grade point average.

Lois Erdmann invited the young pageant winner to speak about
her faith at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Bismarck, N.D. "She
was a good speaker for as young as she was," Erdmann recalled.

The Rev. Charles A. Olmstead, pastor of Hope Lutheran
Church, Fargo, said Saberi attended church events during junior
high though she wasn't a member. "She was an articulate,
energetic young woman," he said. "She was as involved with us as
other kids."

Reza Saberi said his daughter isn't a Lutheran. "I don't
know what faith she is," he said.

He last heard from his daughter Feb. 10, when she called and
told him she'd been arrested. "We waited and worried. We had no
news," he said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and journalists
publicly called for Roxana Saberi's release. Sen. Bryan Dorgan, D-
N.D., an ELCA member, is among U.S. congressional members
involved.

The United States severed diplomatic ties with Iran in 1979

Concordia College said Saberi was chosen as its commencement
speaker because of her knowledge of international relations -- an
emphasis of the school. "Roxana encourages students to broaden
their horizons in that way," Jolicoeur said.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog