From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Conference of Bishops Issues 'Pastoral Word' on Task Force Documents

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:11:07 -0500

Title: ELCA Conference of Bishops Issues 'Pastoral Word' on Task Force Documents
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>March 10, 2009

ELCA Conference of Bishops Issues 'Pastoral Word' on Task Force Documents
09-061-JB

ITASCA, Ill. (ELCA) -- Reporting that its own conversations
"expressed the diversity of opinion that is common throughout the
church," the Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) addressed the church in a "pastoral
word" concerning the contents of two ELCA documents.

Last month the Task Force for the ELCA Studies on Sexuality
released a proposed social statement on human sexuality and a
report recommending changes to ministry policies that could make
it possible for people in committed same-gender relationships to
serve as ELCA associates in ministry, deaconesses, diaconal
ministers and ordained ministers.

The conference issued its pastoral word at the conclusion of
its March 5-10 regular meeting here. Members met in closed, off-
the-record sessions discussing the proposed social statement,
"Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust," and the "Report and
Recommendation on Ministry Policies." The ELCA Churchwide
Assembly will consider recommendations related to both documents
when it meets Aug. 17-23 in Minneapolis.

The ELCA Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the
church, consisting of bishops who lead the 65 synods of the ELCA,
plus the ELCA presiding bishop and ELCA secretary.

In its pastoral word, the conference said its members are
convinced of two things: that the time of preparation for the
2009 Churchwide Assembly "is a hopeful time" and that the Holy
Spirit is guiding deliberations. "This same Spirit increases our
ability to listen patiently and speak honestly to one another,"
the conference wrote.

Referring to the proposed social statement, the conference
said it rejoiced in "the strong affirmation of the gift of
marriage, sexuality and family," and it affirmed "the faithful
exposition of Holy Scripture and Lutheran Confessions." The
conference said it supported the proposed statement's "bold
confrontation of the commercialization of human sexuality" in the
culture and acknowledged "the unity of the Church is the Holy
Spirit's continuing gift."

Referring to the report and recommendation on ministry
policies, the conference said "this document articulately names
the breadth of opinion on the possible rostering of persons in
committed, faithful same-gender relationships." Rostering refers
to structures and processes by which people are approved for the
ELCA's official church ministry.

"Further, it presents one option for working through a
process for discernment and decision-making. We recognize that
both the content of the resolutions and the proposed process for
considering them arise from the task force's deep respect for the
faithful diversity they find present in this church," the
conference wrote.

"We prayerfully trust that God will guide this whole church
in the coming months as we walk together in our deliberative
processes," the pastoral statement said. "We know that our human
decisions are often imperfect, but we are confident of God's
persistent forgiveness. We are deeply committed to the unity of
this church. Whatever decisions the assembly makes, we trust that
God's Spirit will form the wisdom of God's faithful people
gathered in deliberative assembly. We are prepared to stand
together united in our continued service to the Church."

The conference expressed gratitude for the faithful work of
the Task Force for the ELCA Studies on Sexuality, which produced
the report and proposed social statement. Its "work over the past
eight years has been a profound gift to this church," the
statement said.

>---

The full text of "A Pastoral Word to the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America from the Conference of Bishops" is at
http://tinyurl.com/54cu99 on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog