From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Raising Anglican voices, U.N. delegation shares women's stories / Fasting from Facebook: Moder

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:24:40 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Raising Anglican voices, U.N. delegation shares women's
stories
* TOP STORY - Fasting from Facebook: Modern Lenten discipline reawakens
spirit
* TOP STORY - Episcopal Church Women pledges support for Jericho Road
housing initiative
* WORLD REPORT - TANZANIA: Faith leaders denounce slapping of  ex-president
* ARTS - 'A true picture': Exhibit hopes to spur action with photos of
gun-violence survivors
* DAYBOOK - March 16, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Great Music of Holy Week & Easter

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Raising Anglican voices, U.N. delegation shares women's stories

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The voices of Anglican women and their stories
echoed through the just-concluded 53rd annual meeting of the United  Nations
Commission on the Status of Women.

"Everybody knows that Anglican women are here," said Archdeacon  Taimalelagi
Fagamalama Tuatagaloa-Leota of Samoa during a March 12 gathering at the
Episcopal Church Center in New York the day before the March 2-13  session
ended. "Their voices have been heard."

Elizabeth Loweth of Canada said the Anglican women at the gathering  "carry a
message that is not just a Christian message but also a human rights  message
that the world needs to hear."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_105917_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Fasting from Facebook

>Modern Lenten discipline reawakens spirit

>By Lisa B. Hamilton

[Episcopal News Service] Before Ash Wednesday, the Rev. Cathie Caimano
"probably spent a couple of hours on Facebook" each day. Even her dog  has a
page on the popular social-networking website that allows friends to  keep in
touch. So when one of her parishioners at St. John's Episcopal Church in
Wichita, Kansas, jokingly said to her, "You should give up Facebook for
Lent," she thought, "That's a terrific idea."

Her reaction might seem surprising, but, she explained, "I'm a huge Lent
fan." Taking on the ancient practice of a Lenten discipline is "creating  a
space in life for a deepened relationship with God," she said. Every  year,
she gives up alcohol and sweets -- and something else. Last year, it was
television.

Caimano is not alone in her dedication to Facebook. About 175 million  active
users post photos and videos, exchange private or public messages and  join
groups of people with common interests. More than 100 groups -- started  in
the days and weeks leading to Ash Wednesday -- encourage Facebook  members to
forgo it for Lent's 40 days.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_105914_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Episcopal Church Women pledges support for Jericho Road housing  initiative

National board of ECW committed to raise $110,000 by July 2009

[Episcopal News Service] The national board of Episcopal Church Women  (ECW)
has chosen Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative in New Orleans as  the
featured nonprofit for its 2009 philanthropic efforts.

"The support of the ECW means our efforts are being recognized" at a
national level, says Jericho Road Executive Director Brad Powers. "As we
begin this partnership, we have realized that Jericho Road's  philosophies
strongly align with those of the mission and work of the ECW."

Jericho Road Episcopal Housing Initiative is a faith-based nonprofit
organization that was established following the devastation of Hurricane
Katrina as a way to provide families and individuals with affordable  home
ownership opportunities in New Orleans neighborhoods. ECW has set an  initial
campaign goal of $110,000 to be reached by their Triennial Convention in
July 2009.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_105910_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

TANZANIA: Faith leaders denounce slapping of ex-president

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] Christian and Muslim leaders in
Tanzania have condemned an attack on retired president Ali Hassan Mwinyi
after he called for peaceful Christian-Muslim co-existence, and also for
more use of condoms to prevent the spread of HIV and AIDS.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_105913_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>'A true picture'

Exhibit hopes to spur action with photos of gun-violence survivors

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal News Service] Photographs and personal accounts document the
stories of American survivors of gun violence in an exhibit through  March 27
at Grace Cathedral, San Francisco.

By recording these stories and portraits, photographer Robert Drea and
writer Stephanie Arena, a husband-and-wife team, wanted to bring to  public
view "a true picture of gun violence" and its consequences to Americans.

"We want [it] to act as a catalyst for reflection, dialogue and debate  that
moves Americans towards taking collective responsibility for gun  violence
and take action to dramatically reduce the number of Americans  affected,"
said Arena.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_105915_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On March 16, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On March 16, 1789, Henry Ustic Onderdonk was born in  New
York. Onderdonk served as rector of St. Ann's Church in Brooklyn, New  York.
In 1827, he was consecrated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and served as
assistant bishop to the Rt. Rev. William White, the first bishop of the
Diocese of Pennsylvania and the first and fourth presiding bishop of the
Episcopal Church. Onderdonk succeeded White as bishop of Pennsylvania  upon
White's death in 1836.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Great Music of Holy Week & Easter" from Church Publishing, Inc.,  performed
by the choirs of St. Mark's Cathedral, Seattle with J. Melvin Butler,
Organist/Choirmaster, CD , c. 1997, $18

[Church Publishing, Inc.] This CD contains old and new hymns from The  Hymnal
1982 for Palm Sunday through the season of Easter.

This recording treats the listener to a musical journey from Palm Sunday
through the Triduum into Easter and its season of fifty days. It  features
six of the choral ensembles of the Cathedral which engage children,  youth,
adults, amateur and professional musicians, as well as the renowned  Compline
Choir, and a variety of instruments and arrangements. The organ is a  1965
installation by the Dutch firm of D. A. Flentrop. All is ably performed
under the direction of Dr. J. Melvin Butler, Organist and Choirmaster;  with
Dent Davidson, Music Associate and Cathedral Liturgist; Roger Sherman,
Associate Organist; and Dr. Peter R. Hallock, Canon Precentor Emeritus.

>Track list:

>1. Ride On! Ride On in Majesty!
>2. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
>3. The Royal Banners Forward Go
>4. All Glory, Laud, and Honor
>5. Sing, My Tongue, The Glorious Battle
>6. Sunset to Sunrise Changes Now
>7. O Sacred Head, Sore Wounded
>8. Were You There?
>9. Come, Ye Faithful, Raise the Strain
>10. Love's Redeeming Work is Done
>11. Good Christians All, Rejoice and Sing!
>12. The Day of Resurrection!
>13. The is the Feast of Glory
>14. Alleluia! Alleluia! Give Thanks
>15. Lift Your Voice Rejoicing, Mary
>16. Come Away to the Skies
>17. Now the Green Blade Riseth
>18. The Whole Bright World Rejoices Now
>19. At the Lamb's High Feast We Sing
>20. Christ is Alive!
>21. Look There! the Christ, Our Brother, Comes
>22. This Joyful Eastertide
>23. Jesus Christ is Risen Today

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm