From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Mission Personnel Evacuate Madagascar

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:30:49 -0500

Title: ELCA Mission Personnel Evacuate Madagascar
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>March 16, 2009

>ELCA Mission Personnel Evacuate Madagascar
>09-063-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Mission personnel of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) serving in the Republic of
Madagascar have evacuated the island due to recent civil
unrest.  Madagascar is located off the southeastern coast of
Africa.

According to BBC News, Madagascar President Marc
Ravalomanana and opposition leader Andry Rajoelina are locked
in a fierce power struggle.  The political unrest has erupted
into violence.

The U.S. ambassador to Madagascar advised some Americans
to leave Madagascar for their safety.  An ELCA health care
worker and regional representatives, working with the Malagasy
Lutheran Church (Fiangonana Loterana Malagasy), evacuated the
island.

The 3 million-member Malagasy Lutheran Church is one of
the largest Lutheran churches in the world.  It has nine
hospitals and 13 dispensaries, schools and a seminary. The
church focuses on evangelism, social ministry and leadership
development.

The ELCA and Malagasy Lutheran Church are members of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF), a global communion of
churches representing 68.5 million Lutherans.

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop and LWF
president, and the Rev. Rafael Malpica Padilla, executive
director, ELCA Global Mission, wrote a letter to the Rev.
Endor Modeste Rakoto, president of the Malagasy Lutheran
Church, to express "the desire for peace."

"In this time of civil unrest that has shattered the
peace of Madagascar, we want to assure you that your
colleagues in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
are holding you, your family, the Malagasy Lutheran Church,
and all of the people of Madagascar in our thoughts and
prayers," wrote Hanson and Malpica Padilla.

They told Rakota, "We know that you have been active
in seeking a peaceful solution to the present conflict,
providing leadership in difficult and dangerous times. We
also know that our missionaries serving in Madagascar have
deeply appreciated both your leadership and your care for
them in this quickly changing situation.

"Please know that we join you in praying that, in the
coming days, the desire for peace that God wills for all
people will eclipse human pride and plans, and that all
involved in the conflict will discover the path to
reconciliation for the sake of all those who live in
Madagascar," wrote Hanson and Malpica Padilla.
- - -

Information about the Malagasy Lutheran Church is
available at http://tinyurl.com/cv8ouy on the ELCA Web
site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news