From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Lenten Greetings from Archbishop of Maurituis

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:15:55 -0700

Lenten Greetings from the Indian Ocean.

Posted On : March 17, 2009 2:11 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/3/17/ACNS4590
Related Categories: Indian Ocean

From the Most Revd Ian Ernest, Archbishop of the Province.

I would like to keep you informed about the situation in Madagascar:

Weeks of opposition protests and turmoil on the Indian Ocean island have
killed more than 135 people.

On Monday, Madagascar's army threw its weight behind opposition leader
Andry Rajoelina and stormed a presidential palace in the heart of
Antananarivo. The army also seized the central bank. Tanks and scores of
soldiers are still guarding the buildings.

From last week , an increasing number of Malagasy Families have been
leaving the country for security reason and seeking exile in Mauritius .

In collaboration with the Malagasy Embassy, the Province will organize a
vigil of prayer for Madagascar in the Diocese of Mauritius, on Tuesday
17th March from 7.30(local time). Many civilian organization, Church
institutions and denominations have been invited to join us during this
time of prayer and supplication.

We are highly honoured to invite you to join us, in your area, and bring
with this "specific way of the cross for peace" in our region .

May God bless you.

The Most Revd Ian ERNEST
ARCHBISHOP OF THE PROVINCE
BISHOP OF MAURITIUS