From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Resource for congregations in transition is topic of March 29 bulletin inserts

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:14:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Resource for congregations in transition is topic of
March 29 bulletin inserts
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SAN DIEGO: California Supreme Court rejects
Fallbrook church request for hearing
* WORLD REPORT - MIDDLE EAST: Tutu joins call for Gaza 'war crimes' inquiry
* WORLD REPORT - NORTHERN IRELAND: St. Patrick's Day pilgrimage brings
hope for peaceful future
* MISSION - Trinity Wall Street awards more than $3 million in grants
worldwide
* EDUCATION - Virginia seminary reduces expenses, cuts staff to ensure
institution's future
* OPINION - Differing views on handling property disputes
* ARTS - 'Kings': Stylish, tantalizing but not deep
* DAYBOOK - March 18, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Ireland's Saint: The Essential Biography of St. Patrick

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Resource for congregations in transition is topic of March 29 bulletin
inserts

[Episcopal News Service] Congregations in transition often need
special help to emerge from the process with the strength and vitality
that will make new situations into great opportunities.

Transitional Ministries in the Episcopal Church is an organization of
people experienced in meeting the special challenges and demands of
interim work. The ministry of TMEC is outlined by its secretary, the
Rev. Frank Hegedus, in Episcopal Life Weekly bulletin inserts for
March 29.

Bulletin inserts may be downloaded at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm.

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SAN DIEGO: California Supreme Court rejects Fallbrook church request for
hearing
Appellate ruling stands; diocese retains property

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The California State Supreme Court has
refused to hear an appeal of an earlier court ruling that St. John's
Church in Fallbrook could not disaffiliate from the Episcopal Church
and the Diocese of San Diego and continue to control church property.

The decision effectively lets stand an October 21, 2008 appellate
court ruling in the case of New v. Kroeger.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_105984_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

MIDDLE EAST: Tutu joins call for Gaza 'war crimes' inquiry

>By Judith Sudilovsky

[Ecumenical News International] Nobel Peace Prize laureate Desmond
Tutu is among the signatories of a letter calling on the United
Nations to open a war crimes inquiry into alleged abuses of
international law during the recent Gaza conflict.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_105981_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

NORTHERN IRELAND: St. Patrick's Day pilgrimage brings hope for peaceful
future

>By Victoria Gaitskell

[Episcopal News Service] The return of political violence to Northern
Ireland looms large over the Church of Ireland's St. Patrick's Day
celebrations this year.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_105973_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Trinity Wall Street awards more than $3 million in grants worldwide

>Applications for 2009 now being accepted

[Trinity Wall Street] The Trinity Grants Program, part of Trinity Wall
Street, distributed grants of more than $1 million to aid communities
in metropolitan New York during 2008.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_105983_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>EDUCATION

Virginia seminary reduces expenses, cuts staff to ensure institution's
future

[VTS] At the direction of the board of trustees of Virginia
Theological Seminary (VTS), the Very Rev. Ian Markham, dean and
president, announced layoffs last week in an attempt to reduce
salaries and expenses by $1 million. Because nine employees opted to
sign up for the seminary's early retirement and good retirement
(phased retirement over three years) plans, the number of persons laid
off was limited to six.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_105967_ENG_HTM.htm

More Education: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_93222_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Differing views on handling property disputes

[Episcopal News Service] Dozens of readers responded to the three
columnists -- the Rev. Timothy Safford, the Rev. George Clifford and
Joan Gunderson -- who offered opinions in January about ongoing
church-property disputes and how to deal with them.

A selection of those responses can be read at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_105966_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>'Kings': Stylish, tantalizing but not deep

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service] The second book of Samuel (11:1) calls spring
"the time when kings go out to battle" and NBC-TV has also decided
it's the time for a new drama series entitled "Kings" -- a modern
version of the extensive Old Testament accounts of the wars of kings
Saul and David.

In its two-hour premiere on March 15 (subsequent episodes will run one
hour), the show proved to be a stylish production that referred both
to ancient tales and current headlines, but didn't probe particularly
deeply into some of the themes it opened.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_105986_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On March 18, 2009, the church calendar remembers Cyril, bishop of
Jerusalem (c. 313-386).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On March 18, 1789, Charlotte Elliott, English
devotional writer, was born in Clapham, England. On March 18, 1612,
Bartholomew Legate, an English merchant known for his anti-Trinitarian
theology, was burnt at the stake at Smithfield.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Ireland's Saint: The Essential Biography of St. Patrick" from
Paraclete Press, by J. B. Bury, edited with Introduction and
Annotations by Jon M. Sweeney, 205 pages, hardcover, c. 2008, $21.95

[Paraclete Press] Now includes notes and annotations from other
biographers, mystics, historians, and storytellers of Ireland.

Explore Patrick's place in history, the spread of Christianity beyond
the Roman Empire, how Patrick first came to Ireland, the influence of
the earlier Palladius on Patrick's work on the island, the political
and social conditions in the Roman Empire at that time, Patrick's
spiritual battles with the Druids, and much more.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm

General Convention in January.

the address which you wish subscribed, to join-enslist@epicom.org and
include "subscribe" in the subject line.

Episcopal Life Daily provides information and resources which we
consider to be of interest to our readers.

However, statements and opinions expressed in the articles and
communications herein, are those of the author(s) and not necessarily
those of Episcopal Life or the Episcopal Church.