From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Offices in North Dakota, Minnesota Closed Due to Flooding

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:22:00 -0500

Title: ELCA Offices in North Dakota, Minnesota Closed Due to Flooding
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>March 27, 2009

ELCA Offices in North Dakota, Minnesota Closed Due to Flooding
09-073-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The offices of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America's (ELCA) Northwestern Minnesota Synod,
Moorhead, and the church's Eastern North Dakota Synod, Fargo,
are closed as residents in both states deal with record-breaking
floods.

The ELCA Northwestern Minnesota Synod is located on the
campus of Concordia College, one of 28 colleges and universities
of the ELCA.  Concordia cancelled classes March 24-27 to allow
students, staff and others to participate in sandbagging and
other flood control efforts.

As of noon on March 27, the Red River stood at 40.66 feet,
setting a record, said the Rev. Kevin A. Massey, director of
Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR).  LDR is a collaborative
ministry of the ELCA and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

The previous record was set in 1897, when the river crested
at 40.1 feet, Massey said.  The river flows north through
eastern portions of North Dakota and western Minnesota.

The National Weather Service predicts the river will crest
between 42 and 43 feet by March 28. "The river may remain at
that level for a week," Massey said.

In western North Dakota, ice jams on the Missouri River
are also causing serious concern.  In addition, many small
and rural communities across North Dakota and Minnesota are
completely underwater, he said.

"We want to make sure that rural communities are not
forgotten," as reports about the situation in larger cities
continue, Massey said.

Evacuation plans have been initiated at Bethany Homes,
Fargo, and Eventide, Moorhead, two Lutheran senior living
facilities.  Lutheran elementary schools in flood zones have
also closed.

"Many Lutheran congregations are also expected to be
affected by flooding," Massey said.

Once flood waters recede, LDR will coordinate volunteers
for cleanup and recovery.  "We ask people wishing to come and
help to please be patient while we first ensure that the local
communities are safe.  We will arrange opportunities for
volunteers in the coming weeks," he said.
- - -

Worship resources for times of natural disaster are at
http://www.ELCA.org/Growing-In-Faith/Worship.aspx on the
ELCA Web site.

Information about volunteer opportunities and Lutheran
Disaster Response is at http://www.ldr.org on the Web.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog