From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS Increasingly Desperate Situation of the People Trapped in Vanni

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:13:52 -0400

The Increasingly Desperate Situation of the People Trapped in Vanni

Posted On : March 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/3/27/ACNS4592
Related Categories: Sri Lanka

Submitted by the Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera, Bishop of Colombo

As religious leaders, we are extremely concerned about the deteriorating
plight of the civilians who are still trapped in the Vanni. Endless
debates about the actual numbers trapped or who is primarily to be
blamed for their plight are not the most urgent needs at this stage. The
immediate and absolutely urgent need is to recognize that this is a very
critical humanitarian crisis faced by fellow Sri Lankans. The needs of
food, water, health, sanitation, shelter and, above all, physical
security of these our sisters and brothers and children need to be
addressed without delay. From all independent reports available, the
plight of these trapped civilians has become absolutely desperate. These
are people who over the past several years have lived under severe
deprivations and restrictions and have in recent months been displaced
several times over. We urge that all sides recognize the helplessness
and powerlessness of these desperate Sri Lankans to change their
circumstances or voice their fears and concerns. We earnestly appeal to
all concerned to set aside debates on secondary issues and take
immediate steps to alleviate their suffering.

We are grateful that a seven mile long strip has been declared by the
Government of Sri Lanka as "no-fire" zone. We trust that negotiations
can be facilitated to ensure that there is bilateral agreement for this
"no-fire" zone and for the avoidance of the use of heavy artillery and
multi-barrel shelling in the areas where civilians reside. We are also
thankful that arrangements have been made for the sick and the injured
to be transported by ship to Trincomalee for treatment. But in the
prevailing desperate plight of civilians in the Vanni, we appeal to all
parties, in the name of our religions and in the name of our common
humanity, to have the humility and the courage to agree to the
following:

*	Continue steady food supplies through the World Food Program as
long as is necessary.
*	Continue the ferrying of the sick and injured persons through
the ICRC to hospitals that are in a position to 	provide the
necessary personnel and medicines to treat these people.
*	Negotiate and evacuate all civilians who wish to leave the
conflict zone. For this purpose, a temporary cessation of 	fighting
be agreed upon to enable this evacuation. As religious leaders, we are
willing to attempt to facilitate, by 	ourselves or in association with
others, negotiations towards a mutually acceptable agreement in this
regard. We 	wish to emphasize that our concern is purely and
primarily a temporary cessation of fighting for the sole
humanitarian purpose of ensuring the safe evacuation of the civilians.
*	That the UN, ICRC and other reputed organizations, including
clergy of all religions, be allowed into the Vanni  	during the
temporary cessation of fighting to facilitate and monitor the evacuation
and assist in the other 	humanitarian operations. This will bring
credibility to all sides and also enhance the image our country.

The Rt Revd Dr Thomas Savundranayagam Roman Catholic Bishop of Jaffna
The Rt Revd Dr Rayappu Joseph Roman Catholic Bishop of Mannar
The Rt Revd Norbert Andradi Roman Catholic Bishop of Anuradhapura
The Rt Revd Kumara Illangasinghe Anglican Bishop of Kurunagala
The Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera Anglican Bishop of Colombo

25th March 2009

Ends.

Submitted by the Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera, Bishop of Colombo