From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Program, Budget and Finance committee begins work on 2010-2012 plan / Blue Book's reports post

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:38:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Program, Budget & Finance committee begins work on  2010-2012
plan
* TOP STORY - Blue Book's reports posted on General Convention's website
* WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Churches power down for Earth Hour
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Clergy wanted for war-torn Sri Lanka
* MISSION - Jubilee officers roll up sleeves to clear ruined houses
during gathering in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
* PEOPLE - The Rev. Melford (Bud) Holland retires
* OPINION - Not just academic: Education shares God's love with children
* ARTS - Giving face to a legend: Philadelphia artist paints portrait
of former slave and Christ Church member
* DAYBOOK - March 30, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - A Daughter's Love: Thomas More & His Dearest Meg

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Program, Budget & Finance committee begins work on 2010-2012 plan

Committee members acknowledge economic challenges

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service - Linthicum Heights, Maryland] Crafting a
three-year budget more than a year in advance of its starting date is
never an easy task, but the Episcopal Church's Joint Standing
Committee on Program, Budget and Finance (PB&F) acknowledged this week
that the work is even tougher given the world's economic crisis.

The committee met March 24-27 at the Maritime Institute's Conference
Center to begin work on the church's 2010-2012 triennial budget, which
it will present for the 76th General Convention's approval this summer
in Anaheim, California. Speaking to the timeframe involved in the
effort, Episcopal Church Treasurer Kurt Barnes pointed out that work
on the budget began six months ago and that Executive Council approved
a draft version two months ago.

"The world has changed a couple of times" during that period, he said.
The budget will not be complete until General Convention approves it,
a vote now scheduled for July 16. The budget takes effect January 1,
2010.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_106551_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Blue Book's reports posted on General Convention's website

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Blue Book, the collection of reports to
the Episcopal Church's General Convention of the work done by its
committees, commissions, agencies and boards (CCABs) during the
2007-2009 triennium, is now available online at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/gc2009_106480_ENG_HTM.htm.

The Blue Book, which has a red cover for the 76th General Convention,
also contains the resolutions that each groups will propose to the
convention when it meets July 8-17 in Anaheim, California.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_106521_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

>CANADA: Churches power down for Earth Hour

>By Leanne Larmondin

[Ecumenical News International, Toronto] Canadian churches have been
encouraged to "power down" and operate without using fossil fuels or
fossil fuel-powered electricity for one 12-hour day, as a lead in to
Earth Hour, an initiative that aims to see one billion people in 1000
cities switching off their lights to show commitment to the future of
the planet.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_106526_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>ENGLAND: Clergy wanted for war-torn Sri Lanka

[USPG] Clergy from the Church of England are being invited to provide
respite for Sri Lankan priests in the war-torn country.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_106527_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>__________________________

>MISSION

Jubilee officers roll up sleeves to clear ruined houses during
gathering in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

>By Rebecca Jones

[Episcopal News Service, Cedar Rapids, Iowa] The Rev. Canon Debbie
Shew gripped her crowbar and tugged a sheet of rotted paneling from
the wall of a flood-ravaged home and thought about the carpenter who
nailed it up. She thought about the children who grew up there, the
family that called the house home.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_106548_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>The Rev. Melford (Bud) Holland retires

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Melford (Bud) Holland, program
officer for ordained ministry and leadership development at the
Episcopal Church Center in New York, will retire as of April 1.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_106546_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Not just academic

>Education shares God's love with children

>By Katharine Jefferts Schori

[Episcopal Life] I've had several remarkable visits recently concerned
with education and the Episcopal Church. I wrote in this column in
February about the conversations going on in the Diocese of
Mississippi around the role of Episcopalians in bringing justice to a
functionally segregated educational system.

I visited the Diocese of Haiti late last fall and saw how that diocese
serves 80,000 children and young people in elementary and secondary
schools, a university, a music school (which started and maintains the
only philharmonic orchestra in Haiti), a nursing school (graduating
the first degreed nurses in the country this year) and vocational
schools that focus on electronics, business, architectural design and
mechanics.

The Diocese of Massachusetts participates in two remarkable schools
that serve middle schoolers (fifth through eighth-graders), one just
for girls (Esperanza Academy) and one (Epiphany) that serves 85 poor
inner city children of color.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_106525_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>Giving face to a legend

Philadelphia artist paints portrait of former slave and Christ Church  member

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal Life] When visitors come to Philadelphia's historic Christ
Church -- and more than 250,000 of them did last year, according to
parish Tourism Director Anne McLaughlin -- many want to sit in the pew
where George Washington worshiped or visit the Colonialand
Revolutionary-era graveyard, the final resting place for many early
American leaders, including seven signers of the Declaration of
Independence and five who signed the U.S. Constitution.

Others just want to sit quietly in what is known as the "nation's
church," founded in 1695 as the first parish of the Church of England
in Pennsylvania and later the birthplace of the American Episcopal
Church.

Now there is yet another reason to visit: to see a portrait of Alice
of Dunk's Ferry displayed in the reception area of Neighborhood House,
the adjacent parish hall.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_106523_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On March 30, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On March 30, 1533, Thomas Cranmer was consecrated
Archbishop of Canterbury. Cranmer granted Henry VIII's annulment
ending his marriage to Catherine of Aragon.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"A Daughter's Love: Thomas More & His Dearest Meg" from Houghton
Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co., by John Guy, 378 pages, hardcover, c.
2008, $30

[Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Co.] John Guy brings to life
Thomas More and his daughter Margaret- his confidante and collaborator
who played a critical role in safeguarding his legacy.

Sir Thomas More's life is well known: his opposition to Henry VIII's
marriage to Anne Boleyn, his arrest for treason, his execution and
martyrdom. Yet Margaret has been largely airbrushed out of the story
in which she played so important a role. John Guy restores her to her
rightful place in this captivating account of their relationship.

Always her father's favorite child, Margaret was such an accomplished
scholar by age eighteen that her work earned praise from Erasmus. She
remained devoted to her father after her marriage -- and paid the
price in estrangement from her husband. When More was thrown into the
Tower of London, Margaret collaborated with him on his most famous
letters from prison, smuggled them out at great personal risk, even
rescued his head after his execution. John Guy returns to original
sources that have been ignored by generations of historians to create
a dramatic new portrait of both Thomas More and the daughter whose
devotion secured his place in history.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm