From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Seminaries receive free copies of NRSV 'Green Bible'

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:36:25 -0400

>Seminaries receive free copies
>of the NRSV "Green Bible"

Washington, April 13, 2009 - In honor of Earth Day, more than 50 free  copies of The Green Bible are being sent to seminary professors and  administrators by the National Council of Churches Eco-Justice Programs  and the bible's publisher, HarperOne.

The purpose of the gifts, said Jordan Blevins, Assistant Director of the  NCC Eco-Justice Program, is to enable seminaries to share the bible with  their students.

"Earth Day is a unique opportunity for our churches and communities to  celebrate the values of God's Creation," Blevins said. "By getting this  Bible into the hands of seminary faculty and staff,  we can see that  these values continue to be focal points of our churches' ministry."  Earth Day is April 22.

The Green Bible, a New Revised Standard Version,  focuses on creation  care, with input from leading Christian conservationists, theologians,  and practitioners. It demonstrates that creation care is not just a  calling, but a lifestyle.

This green-letter edition of the Bible, utilizing the NRSV translation,  highlights the verses and passages focused on creation care.
"That the Bible has a profound message of sustainability-some might  argue, the original message-is not all that surprising. What is  surprising is that it is not one of the first things that comes to  mind when most folks think about the Bible and its message," says Mark  Tauber, senior vice president and publisher of HarperOne.

"This Bible seeks to change that fact. We believe that the unique and  specially added features by some of today's most important thinkers,  writers and leaders across the ecumenical spectrum make it a must-have  for those who already find motivation, comfort and inspiration in it  and for the many more who might see it freshly as a critical resource in  their journey to sustain our planet," Tauber said.

It includes a series of essays by leading thinkers, teachers and  writers, as well as a comprehensive "green trail guide," through  scripture, a survey of Christian historical figures and their approach  to creation care, and a green concordance and resource guide. It is also  produced using environmentally sensitive materials including special  paper and covers.

The Green Seminary Initiative is devoted to equipping graduates of  theological schools with the theological and practical tools to lead  their congregations and communities in creation care. The Initiative is  also committed to, developing seminaries as models of creation care, and  to serving as a clearinghouse of information, ideas, and resources that  would further that end.

The Green Seminary Initiative believes that this partnership with  HarperOne and the Eco-Justice Program of the National Council of  Churches gives the seminaries an important tool in greening their  institutions.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),  646-853-4212 (cell) , pjenks@ncccusa.org