From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRCNA - John Calvin Conference To Open at Calvin College

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:45:33 -0700

John Calvin Conference To Open at Calvin College

April 14, 2009 -- Reformer John Calvin remains a controversial and frequently misunderstood figure, even as the anniversary of his 500th birthday approaches, says Karin Maag, director of the Meeter Center for Calvin Studies at Calvin College.

At the same time, though, Calvin?s life and legacy are getting fruitful scrutiny during this year in which events are being held all over the world to honor and in some cases probe the personality and theology of the man from whom Reformed churches everywhere draw inspiration

One of the largest events to focus on Calvin and his legacy in the United States begins this week at Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids, Mich. The theme of the conference, which runs April 16-18 and is open to the public, is ?John Calvin: Myth and Reality.? Walk-in registrations and daily rates are  available.

People around the world are beginning to see that Calvin was both a man of his times and made mistakes, and yet he was also a brilliant writer and theologian who was one of the crucial leaders of the 16th Reformation, says Maag.

?We will be looking at the influence of the man,? says Maag. ?Calvin is one of the heroes of our faith, but how do we understand and relate to him??

Although he spent much of his career as a minister in Geneva, Calvin was born on July 10, 1509, in Noyon, France. He was the son of a lawyer who worked for the Catholic Church.

?I think it is important as 21st Century Christians that we don?t forget our roots,? says Maag, one of the coordinators of the conference. ?It helps us to better understand who we are if we can have a sense of the trajectory of the faith over the years.?

The event is organized by the Calvin Studies Society. Sponsoring it are the Meeter Center for Calvin Studies, the Calvin Center for Christian Scholarship and the Nagel Institute.

The conference offers an opportunity to hear from experts on topics ranging from Calvin's view of women to his impact on church discipline. Also addressed will be Calvin?s reputation among his contemporaries to his influence around the world
-- including in Korea, Indonesia, and early America. People from as far afield as Europe, India, Japan, and South Africa will be attending the event.

Two free events are occurring in conjunction with the conference. There will be a panel discussion at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday evening in the seminary chapel on the issue of predestination ? a doctrine for which Calvin was known, although he was not the first to form  it.

The panel will include Calvin Theological Seminary professor Richard Muller, Calvin religion professor Laura Smit and Fuller Theological Seminary president Richard Mouw.

?Predestination is a key doctrine that people are interested in,? says Maag, adding that Mouw will likely offer a historical perspective on predestination and Smit and Muller will give a more personal sense of how the doctrine plays out in the lives of Christians today.

In addition, there will be a free event at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, which will feature a special session on Calvin and music, including Psalms played on the organ and opportunities for everyone to sing. The presenter for this will be Rev. Randy Engle of Troy Christian Reformed Church.

The H. Henry Meeter Center for Calvin Studies is a research center specializing in John Calvin and Calvinism that opened in 1981. It is located in the Hekman Library on the campus of Calvin College and Calvin Theological Center in Grand Rapids, Mich.

For more information about the conference and other ways Calvin College will celebrate Calvin's 500th birthday, contact Karin Maag, director of the H. Henry Meeter Center, 616-526-6089, or via email: <mailto:kmaag@calvin.edu>kmaag@calvin.edu or visit the conference site at: <http://www.calvin.edu/meeter/calvinconference2009/mainpage.htm>http://www.c alvin.edu/meeter/calvinconference2009/mainpage.htm.
?Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

-- Chris Meehan
News & Media Director
Christian Reformed Church in North America
1-616-224-0849

[...]

For more information about the conference and other ways Calvin College will celebrate Calvin's 500th birthday, contact Karin Maag, director of the H. Henry Meeter Center, 616-526-6089, or via email: kmaag@calvin.edu or visit the conference site at: http://www.calvin.edu/meeter/calvinconference2009/mainpage.htm.