From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Video: Presiding Bishop reflects on Italy visit

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:58:05 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Christians wary at arrest of 'inflammatory'
poll candidate
* WORLD REPORT - KENYA: President rejects churches' 'fresh elections'  call
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Presiding Bishop reflects on Italy visit
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - April 19 - Second Sunday of Easter - Year B
* DAYBOOK - April 16, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - New Proclamation: The Essential Pastoral Companion for
Preaching, Year B, Easter through Christ the King

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

INDIA: Christians wary at arrest of 'inflammatory' poll candidate

>By Anto Akkara

[Ecumenical News International, Bangalore, India] Church leaders have
said they are wary about the motives given by authorities for the
arrest of a candidate for scheduled parliamentary elections from a
"Hindu nationalist group" in the troubled Kandhamal district of
India's Orissa state.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_106890_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

KENYA: President rejects churches' 'fresh elections' call

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki
has rejected a church leader's call for fresh elections in the East
African country and has said religious leaders should instead seek to
promote harmony and reconciliation.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_106889_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Presiding Bishop reflects on Italy visit

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
talks about her recent trip to Italy, where she visited Episcopal and
Anglican ministries in Rome and celebrated Easter at St. James Church,
Florence, a parish of the Convocation of American Churches in Europe.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>April 19 - Second Sunday of Easter - Year B

(RCL) Acts 4:32-35; Psalm 133; 1 John 1:1-2:2; John 20:19-31

>By the Rev. Dr. Susanna Metz

>[Sermons That Work] Poor Thomas!

We're at that time of year again. Easter Day is past and once more
we're reading about Thomas, who evidently just can't believe Jesus has
been raised from the dead.

>But don't we love this story? We love Thomas.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_106720_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On April 16, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On April 16, 1993, the first primate was
inaugurated in the Anglican Church in Korea.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"New Proclamation: The Essential Pastoral Companion for Preaching,
Year B, Easter through Christ the King" from Augsburg Fortress, by
Erik M. Heen, Henry G. Brinton, Karoline M. Lewis, David F. Watson,
304 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $27

[Augsburg Fortress] For more than 25 years, the Proclamation series
has been the essential companion for preachers seeking excellence and
integrity in their sermons, providing the best in creative, searching,
and responsible interpretation of the biblical lectionary texts.

EASTER THROUGH PENTECOST SUNDAY

Erik M. Heen, Professor of New Testament and Greek at Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Philadelphia.

PENTECOST 1

Henry G. Brinton, Senior Pastor at Fairfax Presbyterian Church,
Fairfax, Virginia.

PENTECOST 2

Karoline M. Lewis, Assistant Professor of Preaching at Luther Seminary
in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

PENTECOST 3

David F. Watson, Mark scholar at United Theological Seminary in  Trotwood,
Ohio.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm