From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

From Foster Home to Adoptive Home -- a Lutheran Family's Story

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:23:03 -0500

Title: From Foster Home to Adoptive Home -- a Lutheran Family's Story
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>April 22, 2009

>From Foster Home to Adoptive Home -- a Lutheran Family's Story
09-093-SH

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- One of Melony Skytta's most rewarding
moments as a foster parent involved a seven-year-old autistic
boy. She took him to a nursing home to give out stuffed animals.
One resident said she couldn't accept a gift for nothing.

"My boy told her that his gift was free -- like the gift of
salvation when God gave Jesus," said Skytta, 45, of rural
Humboldt, Mich. "I was standing in the hall with tears in my
eyes. Two years earlier, he could barely talk."

After giving birth to a biological son, Skytta and her
husband Curtis became foster parents to "special needs" children
in 1990. They adopted eight of the children -- and cared for many
more -- whose backgrounds included autism, fetal alcohol syndrome,
abuse and neglect.

"We felt God calling us to do this," Melony Skytta said.

The family's membership is with Our Redeemer Lutheran Church,
Champion, Mich. The congregation is part of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

"If we had not done this, what a boring life we would have
had," Skytta said. "The children have been an inspiration. I
always say when a child is learning disabled God always gives
them something extra somewhere else."

Curtis Skytta, 49, said he was at a loss initially for how
to deal with some of the children's behaviors. When one boy
arrived, he liked to growl and bite things.

"It was shocking trying to care for a child in that shape,"
Skytta said. "It took lots of patience. The child got better and
better over time. That's how it was with each child."

The adopted children are: Gabrielle, 10; Sunshine 12;
Cheyenne, 13; Autumn, 16; Dawn, 17; Bobby, 17; Keith, 20; Joe,
23. The Skytta's biological son Dustin is 24.

"Looking back now, I believe God saw us and took us out of
bad homes and put us into a good one," said Joe Skytta, 23, of
St. Charles, Ill. He was adopted at age 7.

By the time he arrived at the Skytta home, he hated the
foster care system. When Melony and Curtis said they wanted to
adopt him, he "tested" their commitment.

"They told me no matter how terrible I acted, I would
always be family," Joe Skytta said. "They never gave up on me.
They are really, really good parents."

The Rev. Thomas A. Skrenes, bishop of the ELCA Northern
Great Lakes Synod, recently met the Skyttas on a visit to Our
Redeemer. They told him the congregation was critical to their
family's faith.

"There was a humility about them," he said. "They don't see
what they're doing as a big deal, but just taking care of their
kids. Those children are their ministry. That family is part
of the congregation's ministry."

Curtis Skytta is involved with the congregation's council
and other activities. Melony Skytta has taught Sunday school,
Bible studies and helped with retreats. The children serve as
acolytes and readers during worship.

"The kids come up and greet me every Sunday, 'Hey Ardith,
how are you?" said Ardith Frisk, the congregation's keyboardist.
"It just makes you feel so good."

Frisk sums up the Skytta family in three words: "Love in
action."

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog