From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: PCT unveils new hymnal during General Assembly Meeting

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:42:49 +0800

>Taiwan Church News

>2982 Edition

>April 20~26, 2009

PCT unveils new hymnal during General Assembly Meeting

>Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

>Written by Lydia Ma

A new hymnal was unveiled during this year’s Presbyterian Church in  Taiwan (PCT) 54th General Assembly Meeting to replace the

existing hymnal that has been in use for the past 45 years.

During a thanksgiving and dedication ceremony, the new hymnal containing  650 hymns was introduced to PCT pastors. According

to committee members who worked on the hymnal, 25% of the hymns  originate from Taiwan, another 25% come from third-world

countries, and the remaining 50% are from Europe or America. Church  members will enjoy a variety of hymns from different

countries and traditions, including many Taiwanese aboriginal cultures,  when they sing from the new hymnal.

“We sing what we believe. And what we believe, we must sing out  loud and with all of our hearts,” said Ito Loh, general editor of

>the new hymnal.

The new hymnal unveiled this year is the product of 30 years of hard  work. Since hymns require careful scrutiny combining

disciplines such as biblical accuracy, theology, worship, and whether  they can be sung with ease during corporate worship or choir

performances, a lot of restrictions and requirements were put in place  during the selection process. Because of these

considerations, the making of a new hymnal was much more challenging  compared to making popular music aimed at pleasing the

masses, said committee members involved in the project.

The PCT Church Music Committee plans to promote the new hymnal in the  upcoming months and years so that PCT church

members can become acquainted and used to the new hymnal. Committee  members said this will be a major project that will take

>many years to complete.

The committee plans to present these new hymns during PCT annual  conferences. It also plans to partner with local presbyteries by

organizing forums that will present and teach the new hymns listed in  the hymnal. It will also promote the new hymnal by

introducing it to students majoring in music across all PCT seminaries  so that new seminarians can quickly become used to singing

>the new hymns.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use the articles only if you acknowledge the  source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles. You may direct  comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our web site: http://www.pctpress.org  (Chinese)